Views
Helpful
Replies

Minimum VTEP pool in cisco ACI

kumarH
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Is there any restriction in using /23 or /24 subnet as VTEP pool. I am looking to setup a LAB environment which will not have more than 10 switches per DC.

2 Replies 2

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @kumarH ,

Cisco recommends nothing less than a /22

But if it is a lab environment - does it matter what range you use?  You can use anything you want!

Do you know about the 198.18.0.0/15 range, reserved for testing of inter-network communications? It is a great one to use exactly for this kind of case and is often over-looked.  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserved_IP_addresses)

But I doubt anything will break if you use a /24 in your lab.

I hope this helps.

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'd really advise against using anything less than what's recommended.  Regardless if it's a lab, you'd likely want a "supported" staging area for your prod environment and circumventing what's we've validated isn't a good idea.  I understand you're only looking at a small scale deployment, but is there really an issue allocating a /22?  There's a huge amount of private address space, so it's not like it needs to be publicly routable.   The system divides the global TEP pool into multiple chunks for various DHCP uses such as Node IPs, VPC, KeyChain, etc.  If the system can't allocate these critical resources, you're going to have issues, and the only way to change your TEP pool beyond Day1 is to blow everything away and rebuild.   If you run into any weird issues with this lab and expect TAC support, the first thing they'd do is play the "it's not supported" card.  Make sure you weigh these options.  

Robert

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License