cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Proper way to set Contract and Firewall Service Graph for any traffic between VRFs

bl80
Level 1
Level 1

APIC v 4.2(5l)

I am trying to find out the proper way to setup the contracts and apply service graph between EPGs/uEPGs in a few different VRFs (and across Tenants).  Simply, I want to create a single "VRF1-to-VRF2" contract that I can set any EPG in VRF1 as consumer and then any EPG in VRF2 as provider and apply a service graph to send this to a firewall.  Typically contract scope will be Tenant but also Global for some I've done. All filtering for this specific traffic will be managed on the FW. 

I have this setup in a handful of areas all around the fabric and the traffic is working exactly as expected but during an unrelated TAC it was pointed out to me that I have numerous F0467 errors raised.  

"vzAny share service provider is not supported"

The way I do this currently is to create a simple contract (typically named for the direction of the traffic, ie: "VRF1-to-VRF2")

Next I set the correct EPGs/uEPGs in the appropriate VRFs as consumer and provider for that Contract.  VRF1 as consumer, VRF2 as provider in this example.

Then I apply the service graph (simple routed, route redirect to Palo Alto FW on a specific zone)-- when it comes up to choose the consumer/provider EPGs I set consumer as VRF1/AnyEPG and then provider as VRF2/AnyEPG.  

Lastly I set the appropriate existing contract subject and set the correct parameters for the BD/PBR/Interface to the FW zone.

All the above works as expected.  I can set that contract as consumer for any EPG/uEPG in VRF1 and then provider in any EPG/uEPG in VRF2 and all traffic is properly routed to the FW zone for policy filtering. 

Same goes for traffic between Tenants just exporting the provider side created contract and adding as consumed interface on the consumer side.  All of this has been working as expected for many months since we brought up the fabric.

During a webex session with a TAC engineer on an unrelated issue it was shown to me that we have raised faults in nearly every VRF.  The above application of the contract/service graph application creates an entry in Tenant > Networking > VRFs > VRFx > EGP Collection for VRF > Provided Contracts.  Then clicking on Faults I see all the raised alerts "vzAny shared service provider is not supported" for every time I have configured this in the above described method.

I just did some quick testing and created a new contract between some test EPGs.  I was able to confirm traffic between EPGs   via the Firewall service graph with the raised fault.   I then simply deleted the entry of the contract under Tenant > Networking > VRFs > VRFx > EGP Collection for VRF > Provided Contracts and the fault disappeared and the traffic still functions exactly as expected. 

I am not understanding what exactly is going on here - I must be doing something incorrect and there has to be a supported way to accomplish my end goal.

I found this article but it does not apply to what I am trying to accomplish :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/application-centric/contract-vzany-error-f0467/td-p/4131832

Appreciate any insight in this.

Thank you

1 Reply 1

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @bl80 

The fault you are observing is because of the supportability:  vzAny is supported as a consumer of a shared service but is not supported as a provider of a shared service.

The fact that is working for you does not mean it's supported. In other words, it was not tested enough by Cisco BU to make it as a supported design. If you face any problems and you raise a support case, the recommendation you will get from TAC is to go under a supported design. What you can do is in the provider VRF, instead of providing the contract as vzAny, configure the EPGs to provide the contract.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License