Views
Helpful
Replies

Virtual APIC question

silk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

I've a cluster of 3 apics, 2 are physical and I'm trying to add the 3rd  as a virtual apic.

The vapic seems correctly installed (I can ping the other 2 on the infra ip address) but it never shows
in the controllers window.

Is there a way to check and/or change the passphrase runtime on the cli?
My doubt is that the passphrase doesn't get changed in the vapp options (I've tried to change the oob IP and
it didn't change at all).

Is there a way do check it?

Thanks

SC

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can't see the configured Passphrase on a virtual APIC without root access. 

Did you check the date/time on the vAPIC and ensure its sync'd up to the same time source as your physical appliances?  The Passphrase does time out after a period of time, so failing the time not being your issue (which validate certificates etc on cluster join) then I'd suggest you redeploy a fresh vAPIC, but ensure the Passphrase has at least 30mins remainder before attempting to join.

Keep in mind you can't simply "update" the VMs properties of the passphrase.  You'd need to redeploy a new OVA with the fresh/current passphrase.

Robert

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can't see the configured Passphrase on a virtual APIC without root access. 

Did you check the date/time on the vAPIC and ensure its sync'd up to the same time source as your physical appliances?  The Passphrase does time out after a period of time, so failing the time not being your issue (which validate certificates etc on cluster join) then I'd suggest you redeploy a fresh vAPIC, but ensure the Passphrase has at least 30mins remainder before attempting to join.

Keep in mind you can't simply "update" the VMs properties of the passphrase.  You'd need to redeploy a new OVA with the fresh/current passphrase.

Robert

Also, I'm assuming your vAPIC is the exact same version as your physical APICs?

Hello Robert,

it was indeed just a matter of having enough time before the passphrase was expiring.

At last my vapic is now working as expected.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

SC

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License