Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure Host Interface of FEX

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Looking for some guidance on how to configure a host interface on the fex connected to a leaf.

Fex is online .. I need port 101/1/3 to be configured as an access port where I can connect a server.

I am new to aci world.. please correct me if I used the wrong terms or info is not enough.

Do I need an operational host connected to the fex port or I can confirm the config from the GUI without connecting a host?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @omz 

Although this is quite an old document (and the version used is 1.1 - stone age in terms of ACI), the steps remains the same:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/cloud-systems-management/application-policy-infrastructure-controller-apic/200529-Configure-a-Fabric-Extender-with-Applica.html  If the FEX is already configured, what you are looking for is the step 2. Configure FEX HIF.

After the access policy was configured, you need to also map the interface to EPG: Tenant -> App_Profile -> EPG -> Static ports (right click) -> Deploy static EPG. Since you are looking for an access port (and I will assume no port-channel / no vpc), you will need to select:

Port type: port 

Name: Leaf 101

Path: Fex-101/eth1/3

Vlan: The access vlan

Deployment immediacy: Immediate

Mode: Access (Untagged)

If you want to make sure that configuration is pushed to Leaf even if the interface is not up, you must select Immediate deployment. Result:

Leaf101# show int e101/1/2 status     
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Port           Name                Status     Vlan       Duplex   Speed    Type              
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Eth101/1/2     --                  sfpabsent  trunk      auto     inherit  --               

Leaf101# show int e101/1/2 switchport | grep Native
  Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 27 (default)

Leaf101# show vlan id 27 extended 

VLAN Name                             Encap            Ports                    
 ---- -------------------------------- ---------------- ------------------------ 
 27   AutoLab:APP1:EPG1                vlan-3810        Eth101/1/2  

Let me know if you have any questions.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @omz 

Although this is quite an old document (and the version used is 1.1 - stone age in terms of ACI), the steps remains the same:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/cloud-systems-management/application-policy-infrastructure-controller-apic/200529-Configure-a-Fabric-Extender-with-Applica.html  If the FEX is already configured, what you are looking for is the step 2. Configure FEX HIF.

After the access policy was configured, you need to also map the interface to EPG: Tenant -> App_Profile -> EPG -> Static ports (right click) -> Deploy static EPG. Since you are looking for an access port (and I will assume no port-channel / no vpc), you will need to select:

Port type: port 

Name: Leaf 101

Path: Fex-101/eth1/3

Vlan: The access vlan

Deployment immediacy: Immediate

Mode: Access (Untagged)

If you want to make sure that configuration is pushed to Leaf even if the interface is not up, you must select Immediate deployment. Result:

Leaf101# show int e101/1/2 status     
 Port           Name                Status     Vlan       Duplex   Speed    Type              
 Eth101/1/2     --                  sfpabsent  trunk      auto     inherit  --               

Leaf101# show int e101/1/2 switchport | grep Native
  Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 27 (default)

Leaf101# show vlan id 27 extended 

VLAN Name                             Encap            Ports                    
 ---- -------------------------------- ---------------- ------------------------ 
 27   AutoLab:APP1:EPG1                vlan-3810        Eth101/1/2  

Let me know if you have any questions.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Hi @Sergiu.Daniluk 

thanks a lot for reply .. that helped .. I was missing the mapping part.

I do have one more question if you can please help with that .. 

I have 2 FEXs, 101 attached on Leaf101 and 102 attached on Leaf 102

Initially, I created 1 fex profile (Leaf101-102-fex-profile) for both leaves.. both fex came online using that 1 fex profile.

If I want to configure a fex port (1/3) using the same profile (leaf101-102-fex-profile) it will affect both fex? Am I right?

If I create separate fex profiles it will affect only 1 fex? 

I created a separate fex profile along with the existing fex profile (leaf101-102-fex-profile) and selected fex interface 1/3 .. but that didn't take any effect. If I separate the fex profiles and add the fex interface 1/3 .. changes get applied to the port.

Can I create 2 fex profiles (1 for both leafs interface 1/1-2) and another fex profile for only leaf 101 and use that for fex host interface?

what would be the best approach in this case?

I hope I have explained clearly .. thanks a lot in advance for your help

take care :)

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License