Helpful
Replies

Remove FEX Uplinks from ACI leaf switch

b001348
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

ACI Version 2.2(2e)

I've a leaf switch (c93180YC-EX) with 8 uplinks to a FEX (c2232pp-10GE).

In the port block of the leaf switch the ports 1/41 -48 are defined for the uplinks.

I want now remove the ports 1/45 - 48, because I need them urgently for another FEX. My question is: If I change the port block from 1/41 - 48 to 1/41 - 44, is there an interrupt an all uplinks or will simply the ports 45-48 removed from the uplink channel. 
Unfortunately I haven't a test environment to try it out. Has anyone collected experience in that matter?

Best regards and thanks 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi Markus,

If I change the port block from 1/41 - 48 to 1/41 - 44, is there an interrupt an all uplinks or will simply the ports 45-48 removed from the uplink channel

Unfortunately, there will be an interupt to all links in the port-channel.

By far the quickest way to make the change with minimal disruption would be to either

1. write a python script to do the job, but that might take days of research if you are not already proficient writing python scripts.
  2. write the appropriate xml/json blocks and post them using Postman - there are postman labs on dcloud where you could potentially practice.

But I'm curious as to why there are 8 links in the port-channel in the first place - I'm guessing that it was a little glitch in the initial configuration.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi Markus,

If I change the port block from 1/41 - 48 to 1/41 - 44, is there an interrupt an all uplinks or will simply the ports 45-48 removed from the uplink channel

Unfortunately, there will be an interupt to all links in the port-channel.

By far the quickest way to make the change with minimal disruption would be to either

1. write a python script to do the job, but that might take days of research if you are not already proficient writing python scripts.
  2. write the appropriate xml/json blocks and post them using Postman - there are postman labs on dcloud where you could potentially practice.

But I'm curious as to why there are 8 links in the port-channel in the first place - I'm guessing that it was a little glitch in the initial configuration.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Thx Chris

I guessed it was like this. Now its clear. Even if I use Postman, which I almost always do, I have to go in a maintenance window.

Best regards, Markus

There is a historical reason for the 8 uplinks. Once the FEX hosted 32 rackservers and 4 uplinks were not enough. In the meantime most of the servers are not in use anymore.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License