cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ACE 4710 Load balance only if primary server fails

cnormand
Level 1
Level 1

I've done a lot of ACE work over the years but this is the first time this has ever come up. 

I have a request from an application group where I have 3 rserver in the server farm but they want all traffic to only go to the first server unless that server fails.  If the first server fails, only then do they want traffic to go to the 2nd server instead and if that fails, then traffic goes to the 3rd.

I've read through the documentation but haven't figured out a way to do this.  Has anyone else had to do this type of failover configuration?

Thanks!

Chris

1 Accepted Solution
4 Replies 4

Kanwaljeet Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

This is from ACE user guide. Please refer to the same for more details. I haven't tested this myself but should work as per your requirement.

Configuring a Backup Server for a Real Server

You can designate an existing real server as a backup server for another real server in case that server becomes unavailable. A backup server is sometimes referred to as a sorry server. If the real server becomes unavailable, the ACE automatically redirects client requests to the backup server. You can configure a backup server by using the 

backup-rserver  command in server farm host real server configuration modeYou can chain a maximum of three backup real servers.

Regards,

Kanwal

cnormand
Level 1
Level 1

Kanwal,

Thanks for the quick information, stupid of me not to be able to find this information.

Appreciate the assist!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Glad i could help. We all miss things sometimes.

Regards,

Kanwal