cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ACE Weights Question

Network Digger
Level 1
Level 1

Dears, I need help please, I know the default weight number for servers is 8, but for the below case te configuration we found on the ACE is as below, where the weight of each of the 3 servers is 2, so how the load balancing will be done in this case?

=============================

serverfarm host WEB_Servers
predictor leastconns
 rserver 10-0-0-1 1234
  weight 2
  probe WEB_Servers_Probe
  inservice
 rserver 10-0-0-2 1234
  weight 2
  probe WEB_Servers_Probe
  inservice
 rserver 10-0-0-3 1234
  weight 2
  probe WEB_Servers_Probe
  inservice

====================

Thank you

3 Replies 3

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Weight is assigned to each real server based on its relative importance to other servers in the server farm. ACE uses weight value for the weighted round-robin and the least-connections load-balancing predictors.

Servers with a higher configured weight value have a higher priority with respect to connections than servers with a lower weight. For example, a server with a weight of 5 would receive five connections for every one connection for a server with a weight of 1 (5:1). Weight can be set between 1 - 100. The default is 8. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/services_modules/ace/vA5_1_0/configuration/slb/guide/slbgd.pdf

Thanks for your reply, but in this case, is there any difference in the traffic handling when all the weights are configured to 2, than when the weights are configured to 8 (the default weight value) ??

Weight assigns a performance weight to each server. Weighted load balancing is similar to least connections, except servers with a higher weight value receive a larger percentage of connections at a time.

In this case, the servers have equal weight of 2 set. As I understand they will all receive 2 connections instead of 8.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: