Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ANM in HA mode

jteixido
Level 1
Level 1

Team,

I need to install two ANM servers in HA mode. The primary ANM server will be in my primary data-center and my back up ANM server will be located in my back up data-center. Is this possible? Based on what I read in the installation and user manual, the servers are supposed to be inter-connected with a cross over cable. Please let me know if what I am trying to do is possible and how can I make this work?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6904/tsd_products_support_series_home.html

Thank you,

John...

3 Replies 3

Peter Koltl
Level 7
Level 7

You may use common VLANs in the data centers and connect the NICs respectively, and I assume it would work as all communication is IP. However, Cisco TAC probably wouldn't support the configuration and it might have some issues due to the bigger round-trip time. So I would keep to the installation guide and confine the servers in the same DC. You may inquire at Cisco whether they would support a direct dedicated fiber crossover connection by means of fiber NICs or media converters or over DWDM provided you can obtain a inter-DC dark fiber. (I don't think they would.)

Do you have layer2 connectivity between your datacenters?

A prereq. for ANM in HA to work is that your 2 servers are in the same subnet...

What you could do is install them both as primary, manually sync devices and contexts and then rely on auto-sync for the secondary.

Another possibility is to use the backup file of the primary to manually sync the devices and contexts on the secondary.

HTH,

Dario

Guys,

Thank you for your replies. I'm thinking of configuring both ANM servers as primaries, create a vip in my core ACE module and put the ANM server in my primary and backup datacenters as a real server in a server farm. I will leave the ANM server in my primary data-center as active and I will configure the real server of the ANM server in my backup data-center as standby. What do you think of this solution?

Regards,

John...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: