Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WAE-511-K9 display not coming up.

I am facing a problem with Cisco Wide Area Application Engine ( Cisco WAE-511-k9).

The connectivity is as follows:

1.To the Serial Port(Back panel port 8 of WAE), i have connected my PC serial port. 2.To the Ethernet 1 port (Back panel port 4 of WAE),i have connected a crossover cable to my PC network port. I am trying to access the setup/config utility thru hyperterminal (settings - default). But the WAE GUI interface is not visible although the serial port shows connected. Could you help me out with this issue? Regards, Shreedhar.

6 Replies 6

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Shreedhar,

When you power on the WAE, do you see any output on the console? What LEDs do you see on the front and back of the WAE? What type of console cable are you using (straight through or rolled)?

~Zach

Hi Zach,

During power on:

1.I don't see any output on the console although it says 'connected' to the serial port.

2.LEDs status of WAE: Front:- Power LED is green. Hard disk drive activity LED is initially green and then is OFF.

Back:- Ethernet port LED is green.

3. Console cable is roll over cable.

Hope this helps you.

- Shreedhar

I would recommend you:

1. Verify that the console connection (PC, cable, etc.) works on another device, like a router or switch.

2. Trying using a different DB-9 connector.

3. Connect the WAE to a segment with a DHCP server. By default, interface GigabitEthernet 1/0 has DHCP enabled. Once the WAE obtains an IP address through DHCP, you should be able to telnet to it.

~Zach

I have tried the following:

1.The rollover cable was connected to a router and i could log into the router. So,rollover cable,DB9 and PC connection are alright.

2.Connected the WAE Giga interface to a switch acting as a DHCP server and analyzed using port scan mapper tool. No DHCP IP was allotted to the WAE.

Could COM port of WAE be faulty? It is brand new, shipped directly from Cisco.

- Shreedhar

Shreedhar,

If your console cable/connectors are fine, then you probably have a defective device. Do you have another WAE you can test with?

~Zach

Shreedhar,

Make sure you have a correct DB-9 connector, you need the DB-9 connector that used to be shipped with the Cisco equipment combined with a standard roll-over cable.

The WAE is basically an IBM server and has a VGA connector onboard. When you connect a monitor to the WAE and boot the device you should see a "regular" server boot, this end with something like "redirecting all output to the serial port".

If you don't have any output on the monitor you definitely have a defective WAE.

See figure 1-9 for the location of the location of the monitor port. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6474/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a00804c1203.html

Regards,

Frans.