Views
Helpful
Replies

CPU Calculation

bjames
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

What formula/calculation does Cisco use on the content switches for CPU Utilization? Our switches show 100% utilization, but the switches seem to be functioning normally.

Thanks in advance

5 Replies 5

dwmcguire
Level 1
Level 1

Funny you should mention that. I'm checking in here to see if anyone's mentioned seeing CSS 11154's go to 100% CPU after being accessed with a browser to manage them rather than telnet. Ours are running v5.005 & we just discovered this to be the case. The switch doesn't "act" like it's at 100% - not sluggish to type on or sisplay commands via console or telnet, not enough connection activity to warrant it, etc. I'm about to search the buglist then open a TAC case. Maybe this is your issue, too.

Good Luck,

Dennis

Dennis,

These are 11050 switches running V.501, and we new the http sessions would increase CPU, but we see it at 100% even with Telnet, and they usually show 100% all the time.

Performance seems fine though.

Bob

Hmmm, must be some other combination of events that's triggered the CPU display bug.

We actually tried v5.02 awhile ago but it also had a CPU display bug, something to do with the way VRRP was being handled. Maybe the bug also exists in 5.01... are these redundant boxes?

Dennis,

The boxes are not in redundant mode right now. Both display the 100% Utilization issue, even when telneted in.

I'm sure it's a bug, but a Cisco SE will be coming in this week and he will have a look at it.

I will let you know the results.

Bob

It is a known bug. It is fixed in

WebNS 5.02Build 3: ap0502003 (on CCO) - I tried it

on a CSS11800 and it worked.