cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSM-S real server to vserver communication

bogdahnt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I implemented a csm-s in bridge mode in an existing environment for http loadbalancing. Everything is working fine until a client requests a reporting feature at the webservers. The webserver starts a java application which opens a connection to the virtual address of these same webservers but this connection will not work.

First of all i thought, that the reply has to go to the csm and configured nat client for the vserver. But still no data coming back. The default routing for the webservers pointing to the csm address.

The following flow is my goal:

client -> vserver csm 80 -> webserver 7780

webserver -> vserver csm 80 /reports* -> webserver 7782

webserver -> csm -> back to client

If I let me show the connection entry I can see a established conn for the client to the webserver. For the webserver outgoing connection I see a connection in REQ_WAIT state and nothing comes back to the client. As attachment my configuration for the csm. Any ideas why the traffic does not come back to th eclient? Should this plan work? Is a connection from the real webserver on the server vlan to a vserver at the csm possible? Thanks for any ideas or help in advance, Thomas.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

you did not apply your policy to the vserver.

Anyway, there is a better solution.

Matching the URL is CPU intensive and it is not really needed.

you already know that the request will come from the server vlan.

So, you should create a duplicate vserver matching vlan 70.

ie:

vserver INTRA_80_VLAN70

virtual 1.1.144.141 tcp www

vlan 70

serverfarm INTRA_7782

no persistent rebalance

inservice

Gilles.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

you did not apply your policy to the vserver.

Anyway, there is a better solution.

Matching the URL is CPU intensive and it is not really needed.

you already know that the request will come from the server vlan.

So, you should create a duplicate vserver matching vlan 70.

ie:

vserver INTRA_80_VLAN70

virtual 1.1.144.141 tcp www

vlan 70

serverfarm INTRA_7782

no persistent rebalance

inservice

Gilles.

Hi Gilles, the missing policy is just an copy and paste error by myself. In the real config, the policy is applied to the vserver.

Anyway I will try your suggestion and will feed back if this works. Many thanks for your answer, Thomas.

Hi Gilles,

many thanks for your advice. The vserver matching vlan 70 works perfect now. The question is, why I have to configure a vserver just for vlan 70. Shouldn't the other solution work either??? Anyway, tanks a lot for your help :o)

the other solution should work, but even if it is shorter to write, it requires much more resources to implement.

The solution I gave you is simple and the best in terms of performance.

We could do some troubleshooting to figure out what was wrong with the other solution if you want.

Gilles.