cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSS-11503 Source IP is not Managemnet IP address

preddyi
Level 3
Level 3

I have Css-11503 with 7.10 version software.

Management ip address is 172.16.1.1/24

Interface Fa1/1 bridged to Circuit 1

Circuit 1 -- IPaddress is 10.0.0.1/24

Default gateway is 10.0.0.100

Problem no.1 : When I do a traceroute to 172.16.1.1

trace follows like this

When I trace to 172.16.2.1(I have static route to 172.16.2.0/24 via 172.16.1.100, but does not show in route table)

Trace follows like this

Why does my CSS does not take the path via management interface , if I trace any where?

Thanks in advance

6 Replies 6

ritchieb
Level 1
Level 1

I have experienced a similar problem. We were trying to route SNMP traffic from the CSS to a remote host (one not on the same subnet as the ethernet mgmt port).

However, the CSS will not populate its routing table with a route where the next hop is a host on the same subnet as the ethernet mgmt port. In essence the CSS will not allow you to route out of the mgmt interface as it would then have the possibilty of becoming a 'production' port.

After numerous discussions with TAC they are aware of the problem and advised that the issue should be rectified in new versions of code.

Hope this helps,

Brian

Hi,

as far as I know routing via the MGMT-Interface is not possible with the current versions. The only possibility is to use a Layer 3 dievice in your management net of the CSS (e.g. 10.1.1.0/24 and the CSS is 10.1.1.5) which is doing the natting for remote MGMT Stations (10.2.2.2 <- NAT -> 10.1.1.2)

In every other case the routing will take place according to the routing table of the CSS. Furhteron routing on the MGMT-interface might/will/should get implemented in one of the next releases.

Regrads,

Joerg

Well,

Thanks everybody.

Let us wait and see for new release of the software, which supports the required feature.

Regards

Well, this issue still hasn't been resolved. I've been getting the same results on the 7.20 version of the software on a 11501.

It's been like 2 months since your posts and no fix. As a workaround I'll configure an enet port as the management port, I hope this works.

Cheers,

Niels

the CSS does not route through the management port.

This is a design decision that was made a long time ago.

With version 6.10 for the css 11000, we changed this behavior and allowed the configuration of static routes on the management port [inside the boot config mode]

The restriction is that the routing table are separated and should not overlap.

What is reachable via the management port can only be reachable via this port.

This feature will come in the next Feature release of the CSS11500 which will be 7.30 and should come out in a month or two

Gilles.

Great.

Thanks for your reply.

Niels

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: