Views
Helpful
Replies

CSS non-gracefule service shutdown

rhholmes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I occasionally have a requirement to suspend a service urgently.  The application team wants all traffic to stop immediately and all current flows terminated.  The service runs with approximately 600 active SSL connections and these can take a very, very long time to timeout.  A normal suspend only prevents new connections.  Is there a way to perform a non-graceful suspension of a service?  I'm hoping there is an option using the weight parameter.

The only means I can think of is to remove the service from the content rule, but that isn't a nice solution in a critical operational environment.  Currently the application team can use the HSE to suspend services.

More specifically, there is a content rule with three services and sorry server.  The team wants to be able to suspend all three services and have the traffic directed to the sorry service immediately.

Thanks,

Rob

1 Reply 1

Daniel Arrondo Ostiz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rob,

I'm afraid there is no way to achieve this from the CSS point of view. For this kind of non-graceful cut, the best would be to suspend the service on the CSS (to avoid new connections) and then bring the server down so that the connections already established fail.

It was designed in this way precisely to minimize the impact in case a service is removed from the serverfarm.

Regards

Daniel