cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Direct access to the real servers via a CSS

carlsond
Level 1
Level 1

How can I directly access my servers through a CSS. I thought I had seen a post addressing this but can only find CSM related posts.

4 Replies 4

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A CSS is simlpy a router/switch.

If you have a route on your host for the real servers subnet pointing at the CSS, then you can access them.

There is nothing on the CSS to block traffic sent directly to real servers.

Regards,

Gilles.

Sorry I guess I wasn't very clear. The servers are on a non-routed subnet, ie 10.x.x.x and we would like to be able to acces the servers via the lan/wan for administrative purposes.

Think about the CSS as a router.

From within your network, to access the servers in the 10.x.x.x subnet, all you need is to propagate the subnet to all the routers in your network.

To access the servers from outside your network, you need a device to do nating between the private address space to a public subnet.

Once again, think about the CSS as just a router.

Finally, I just would like to say that 'non-routed subnet' is not very appropriate terminology.

Any subnet is routable by any router in the world.

However, ISP's block traffic to/from private address space.

Regards,

Gilles.

I'm not sure how to make the 10.x.x.x subnet visible on the public side of the network without changing to a bridge mode configuration (not desirable). I thought I had seen a post in the past explaining how to configure some sort of NAT right on the CSS for server administration. As for calling the 10.x.x.x net non-routed, I use the term because we are not routing it within our network, it stays behind the CSS.

Thanks.

Dave

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card