cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM advices

eric.loiseau
Level 1
Level 1

Can I use a FWSM module with dual MSFC configured as redundant actif/passif module?

Is it possible to migrate from single routed configuration to multiple context or multiple to single?

Can I agregate multiples links (port-channel) between a 4507 and 6509( with FWSM) without any restrictions ?

Regards

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Eric

Not sure i understand exactly what your first question is asking.

You can have multiple FWSM's in the same 6500 chassis and you can have an FWSM in a pair of 6500 chassis. The number of MSFC's ie. supervisors does not affect the FWSM.

Yes it's possible to migrate ack and forth. Be aware if you go from single to multiple then the FWSM uses your existing config to create the admin context in multiple mode. Transferring back. Well if you have multiple contexts you need to be careful as obviously these cannot all be used in single mode.

There is a field notice to do with Distributed Etherchannel and the FWSM which can have an impact on performance although there is now an IOS that fixes it. See attached link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2706/products_field_notice09186a00804093ee.shtml

Other than that the FWSM introduces no other restrictions as far as etherchannel between two switches is concerned.

Finally, it might help in future if you posted firewall questions within the Security/Firewalling catgeory.

Hope i've helped

Jon

Thanks for your reply ,

Yestreday , I have configured a 6509 with a FWSM card, I verified all , trunk, redundancy, and context today. and it's work except a problem with a multiple context with 2 outside interface who share the same svi.

But I asked the question in the firewall/security category.

Regards