cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Many to Many Multicast

anthony.f
Level 1
Level 1

Currently, we are using a system similar to an IP hoot and holler. It is made by ETC and uses a voice gateway. I can include a diagram if nec. The issue is that NOW, across the local and wide area, instead of a one to many situation, we need to have a many to many multicast situation. Kind of like a voice “Party line.” My question relates to the router [6500 MSFC] configuration needed. First of all, can cisco equipment support this ‘idea.” Secondly, I can attach the current configs but the question is how do we modify them? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply 1

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

The Policy Feature Card (PFC) uses the Layer 2 multicast forwarding table to determine on which ports Layer 2 multicast traffic should be forwarded (if any). The multicast forwarding table entries are populated by whichever multicast service is enabled on the switch (IGMP snooping or GMRP). These entries map the destination multicast MAC address to outgoing switch ports for a given VLAN.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ebabe.html