Views
Helpful
Replies

Preposition size limit was exceeded

JP Babiera
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Everyone,

I have a preposition job that's trying to copy a folder roughly 108GB in size (comprised of subfolders and files).  I have the job running nightly and it always terminates after several hours copying about 27GB of data saying, "Preposition size limit was exceeded."  I understand that we might be running into the reserved cache limit, and I have already set the preposition to use 100% of the cache.

My question is, if this job terminates after copying 27GB of the 108GB, what happens the next time this job starts on the next scheduled iteration the following night.  Right now, it is set to "Files changed since last preposition."  Will the preposition resume where it last Status:Terminated or will it start over since it wasn't Status:Complete task (ie. I'll never copy the full 108 GB since it keeps starting over)?

The versions of the two WAAS devices on each end:

Cisco Wide Area Application Services Software (WAAS)

Copyright (c) 1999-2012 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Cisco Wide Area Application Services (accelerator-k9) Software Release 4.4.7 (build b4 Apr 25 2012)

Version: nme-wae-502-4.4.7.4

Cisco Wide Area Application Services Software (WAAS)

Copyright (c) 1999-2012 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Cisco Wide Area Application Services (accelerator-k9) Software Release 4.4.7 (build b4 Apr 25 2012)

Version: oe512-4.4.7.4

Thanks,

JP Babiera

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Preposition copies CIFS data til to CIFS object cache at the "remote" WAE - which here is a NME-WAE-502.

According to the the sizing guidelines there is "only" 25 GB of disk space reserved to CIFS Object cache.

So there is no way you can preposition the entire 108 GB of data down to a 25 GB "partition".

Next time the preposition job is run - you will either :

1)     Get the same error, because the same (first 25Gb of) data is prepositioned - if the files aren't changed they aren't copied

2)     The 25Gb of data (on the WAE-NME disk) is aged out, and the next 25Gb of data is prepositioned - it will give the same result at the end of the day.

Suggest that you remove some of the files/directories to limit the preposition size to e.g. 20 GB, to allow room for dynamic fetched files.

Best Regards

Finn Poulsen

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Kanwaljeet Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi JP,

I was digging into details and i got this in user guide:

Step 4 Ensure that the Status column shows Completed.

If this column shows a failure, look in the Reason column for an explanation that can help you troubleshoot why the preposition task failed. After resolving the issue, you can schedule the preposition task to run again now, or wait until the scheduled start time and check the status again later

So looking at this explanation it does seem that prepositioning should resume where it actually left off.

For more details please visit the below link and section: Checking the Preposition Status

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v413/configuration/guide/filesvr.html#wp1043724

Regards,

Kanwal

Hmm, OK.  I'll keep monitoring the preposition jobs and see what will happen in the next few days.

Hi,

Preposition copies CIFS data til to CIFS object cache at the "remote" WAE - which here is a NME-WAE-502.

According to the the sizing guidelines there is "only" 25 GB of disk space reserved to CIFS Object cache.

So there is no way you can preposition the entire 108 GB of data down to a 25 GB "partition".

Next time the preposition job is run - you will either :

1)     Get the same error, because the same (first 25Gb of) data is prepositioned - if the files aren't changed they aren't copied

2)     The 25Gb of data (on the WAE-NME disk) is aged out, and the next 25Gb of data is prepositioned - it will give the same result at the end of the day.

Suggest that you remove some of the files/directories to limit the preposition size to e.g. 20 GB, to allow room for dynamic fetched files.

Best Regards

Finn Poulsen

Thanks Finn, I think that I may have to break up the preposition into something smaller.  This job has been running for several days, more than enough to add up to 108GB'; but if 25GB is all it can do, then I'll have to cut that down to something more manageable.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: