cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem during preposition

fernando_garcia
Level 1
Level 1

I have a preposition of a large content (about 50 GB) that starts correctly, but after some time it stopped with errors and without finishing. Last night it only transfered 7 GB.

In the Edge WAE I see hundreds (or thousands) of errors with many files:

2011 Jan 24 23:38:33 esplpawae806 java: %WAAS-CIFSAO-4-131238: (221487) Error during preposition of \\Logs\ESPLPAS328658_actualizacion_SDE.log, reason: File Version Mismatch (CoreServer).

The last message of the preposition (after four hours) is:

2011 Jan 24 23:38:33 esplpawae806 java: %WAAS-CIFSAO-4-131233: (276821) Only the change time attrbiute has changed for 1,428 file out of 1,449 files that where changed. It can be that some backup (or other) application is scanning and changing the attributes of the files.  

Why the preposition is not finishing? What is the meaning of File Version Mismatch?

Regards, Fernando

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Fernando,

Both messages indicate the same. The second one is a summary of the prepositioning result, saying that 1,428 files got modified, and the first one (and the thousand others you got) are more specific and mention the exact file that was modified.

Unfortunately, there is no way to change the behaviour of  WAAS in this case. You will have to look for ways to prevent the files from being modified, such as prepositioning after business hours only.

Regards

Daniel

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Daniel Arrondo Ostiz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Fernando,

The key here is the second message. Apparently, while the file is being copied to the edge WAE, someone is accessing the file in the origin server and changing the "Change time" attribute. Since the change time attribute is changed, WAAS believes that the file has been modified while it was being transferred and as a result, the prepositioning process fails.

When prepositioning a file, you should make sure that the file cannot be modified while it's being transferred. You should be able to ensure this by removing write permissions to the file.

I hope this helps

Daniel

I understand that we must block all write access to the directories being transfered. But that is not always possible. Is there any method to tell WAEs to ignore this problem?

And what is the meaning of the first error, I have thousands of those in diferent files:

2011 Jan 24 23:38:33 esplpawae806 java: %WAAS-CIFSAO-4-131238: (258524) Error during preposition of \Procesos\log\poblar_caches_red.log, reason: File Version Mismatch (CoreServer).

Regards. Fernando

Hi Fernando,

Both messages indicate the same. The second one is a summary of the prepositioning result, saying that 1,428 files got modified, and the first one (and the thousand others you got) are more specific and mention the exact file that was modified.

Unfortunately, there is no way to change the behaviour of  WAAS in this case. You will have to look for ways to prevent the files from being modified, such as prepositioning after business hours only.

Regards

Daniel

OK Daniel.

I will try to lock directories being copied.

Muchas gracias.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: