cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[SOLVED] Enabling LISP on N7K/SUP2-E w/ M1XP32-12L and F2e VDC?

Justin Kurynny
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I'm running into an issue where we have (2) M132XP-12L linecards coexisting with an F2e 48-port line card in the same VDC. This configuration is supported in NX-OS 6.2(2) and is procedurally outlined in the 6.2(x) release notes.

My further understanding is that LISP is supported in this configuration because the F2e runs in proxy mode, that is, LISP traffic received in F2e interfaces is forwarded over to the M1 card(s) for processing.

I have issued the limit-resource command and rebind interfaces command for this VDC per the recommendations here.

My issue is that when I try to enable the LISP feature, I get an error saying that LISP is not supported in a VDC type of F2e:

This is what I see when issuing the feature lisp command from within the production VDC (which is where the M1 and F2e cards reside):

n7k01-production(config)# feature lisp

Feature lisp not supported in F2E VDC

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

Justin

UPDATE: For the benefit of future searchers: I managed a workaround. When I removed the F2e card from the VDC and then reverted the limit-resource command to only allow the m1xl card, I was able to enable the LISP feature (as I would expect). Re-adding the F2e card and re-issuing limit-resource for m1xl and f2e allowed the LISP feature to continue operating and I was able to add and turn up the F2e interfaces. I reloaded the VDC just to make sure it wasn't a temporary workaround--even on reload the VDC came up with LISP operational and all M1 and F2e interfaces passing traffic normally.

6 Replies 6

Kanwaljeet Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Justin,

You have asked the question in wrong community. Please ask it here for speedy responses.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/data-center/others?view=discussions

Regards,

Kanwal

Kanwal,

Unfortunately, the "Other" category doesn't seem like the correct categorization for a platform feature set question. It seems like about 80% of all Data Center questions are getting tossed into "Application Networking," which, honestly, is why I chose that category (visibility).

Perhaps another category, such as "Platforms" or "Platform Features" would help. It seems like platform-specific, OS-specific and feature-specific questions are all over the place in this forum.

Justin

Hello justin,

LISP is not supported on F2 modules even with proxy routing enabled, only M1 and F3 modules.

Follow the reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/lisp/configuration/guide/b_NX-OS_LISP_Configuration_Guide_chapter_01.html#reference_8B924DADA86748E3B51062EB51CC171E

Regards.

Hi Richad,

LISP is in fact supported with F1 and F2e series cards as long as you run them M132XP cards When co-habitating a VDC, the F2e's routing engine is disabled and it is moved into proxy mode.

I have internal confirmation with Cisco via PH+ that this is supported as of 6.2(2) and I currently have it running and operational.

You are correct, however, that F2 cards (non-e) do not support LISP.

PM me if you would like Cisco-internal topic links. I can't access them directly (I'm a partner), but your favorite Cisco SE can use the links to corroborate what I'm claiming here.

Justin

Hi Justin,

It is little tricky but you can ask questions in LAN switching as well since they look L2 part, modules etc. If the issue is related to UCS or storage then you can ask them in respective communities under "Data Center".

Application networking is basically for ACE, CSS, CSM, GSS etc

Regards,

Kanwal

Kanwal,

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Justin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: