cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade WAVE-294-K9

Bill19795_2
Level 1
Level 1

If I start out at a remote location using the base WAVE-294-K9 and then the location grows can I apply the 8 gig RAM upgrade to it after the time of purchase to increase its capacity?

3 Replies 3

Daniel Arrondo Ostiz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Bill,

Yes, you can add a memory upgrade to a WAVE at any time.

Just be aware that, after the upgrade you will have to use the command "WAE# disk delete-data-partitions" in order to resize the DRE partition to adapt to the new memory size. This will not only delete all the current DRE cache, but also the "/vspace" directory, where all the virtual blade disks are stored. Make sure to have a backup if you are using virtual blades before you issue the command.

Regards

Daniel

Is that command only for a hard drive upgrade or for a RAM memory upgrade? Is there any documentation you can point me to on upgrading the RAM on the 294? The reason I ask is that my account team is saying I can not upgrade the 294 RAM in the field. If I purchase the 294 with base RAM and decide to upgrade it to 8 Gig I have to purchase a new 294 with the 8 Gig RAM which does not sound correct.

Hi Bill,

I can confirm that it's technically possible to upgrade the memory of a WAVE-294, so I would suggest you to check with your account team again to confirm. The procedure to upgrade the memory is documented at the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/wave/installation/294/guide/294op2.html#wp1057620

The command I gave you in my first post will resize the disk partitions to adapt to the new memory size (for example, the DRE partition will need to be bigger to adapt to the new memory). This command is mentioned in step 14 of the installation steps.

Regards

Daniel