Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS traffic reduction in client to server direction

jmfranco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

This week we have deployed a pair of 7341 in our central office and a two remote offices with NME-WAE-502. All seems to work fine, users notice better application time response, but there is something I can´t understand. Taking a view to bandwidth utilization graphs of wan interfaces, I notice a lot of traffic reduction in servers (in central office) to clients (in remote offices) traffic, but I see clients to servers traffic remains the same compared with bandwidth graphs of some days before. Is this the expected behavior? Do I have to see traffic reduction in client to servers traffic?

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

jomerril
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The amount of traffic reduction you will realize in any given direction will depend on many factors, such as, but not limited to:

- the amount of traffic traversing the WAN in that direction. You are more likely to see greater savings in the direction that has the largest amount of data. Typically this is the server->client direction.

- the redundancy of data patterns within that data. Greatest savings is seen where much redundancy is found. When the data is compressed or encrypted before reaching the WAE, for example, WAAS may not find data redundancy or the data my not benefit from further compression.

- the amount of data separated by delays (as seen with user interactive protocols where client sends a little data, waits for data from the server, sends a little more data, etc.) WAAS applies it's data reduction technologies against portions of a data stream at a time (termed "messages"). What data is included in those messages depends on how much data is coming in, and on delay intervals in receiving that data. If only a little data is sent at a time, or if a lot of data is sent with delays between portions of that data then the message sizes sent to the DRE will be smaller. Often the message sizes will be small in the client->server direction. It is more common for clients to pull down large data.

It is common to see greater reduction in the server->client direction. It is not uncommon to have little reduction in the client->server direction depending on the type and size and delay intervals in the traffic going that direction.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App