cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Copy/Paste/Cut kbd shortcuts not always working

Brian Bergin
Level 4
Level 4

Ok, so I'm going to be picky here.  I type 100+ wpm and prefer to use a keyboard to move around when I can as it's always faster than a rodent; however, TBA isn't always keyboard friendly.  I'd like to be able to use keyboard shortcuts to copy/paste/cut items from the details page.  On some fields they work on others they don't.  So I'd like to see:

CTRL-C (copy)

CTRL-Ins (copy)

CTRL-V (paste)

SHIFT-Ins (paste)

CTRL-X (cut)

SHIFT-Del (cut)

Also, pressing Esc should cancel a screen without having to use the mouse ot press Cancel and Enter should press Ok.

Thanks...

3 Replies 3

Michael Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Brian, we'll see what we can get corrected for a future version. Can you provide us just one example of a screen and the field, which shortcut doesn't work, and what browser you tried the shortcut in?

Also, for pressing esc to exit, would you expect a confirmation pop-up to appear that you want to discard any work that might have been done - or not?  Michael Whitley (out of the office until Monday) is one of the devs on our team and had worked directly with our Cisco User Experience folks to help improve accessibility issues in our trial.  I'm sure he'd appreciate your perspective on this one.

-mike

I'm not sure how I can show you a kbd shortcut not working, but in the attached screen, if you highlight the Displayed Name, Shift-DEL works for CUT but CTRL-Ins and Shift-Ins do not work for copy/paste so it's like some of them are enabled and not others.  I'm old school, VERY old school, having been using Windows since 1.01 so I cut my teeth on Ins/Del combinations and not the Apple-style ones that require an awkward use of the left hand.

Also, almost exclusively I'm in IE8.  It's the browser most of our customers use so it's what I use.  The Flash applet should work almost identically in all browsers, right?  I have confirmed that in that screen in Chrome it behaves the same way.

As for confirmation?  Hmmm... Well, that'd be a personal prefernece IMHO, but generally speaking it doesn't warn you.  If you press cancel now it doesn't which I'm fine with so that behaviour is fine for me.  This could all be in a Personal Preferences area where one could control animation, columns, etc...

Good feedback, thanks.

-mike