cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PLG1000 monitors

JOHN NIKOLATOS
Level 3
Level 3

I noticed the PLG1000 does not have a monitor for HOST UP DOWN status - to monitor if the OnPlus PLG1000 device itself goes up or down.  How is this supposed to be handled and do we get an alert if the PLG1000 goes up or down itself?

3 Replies 3

Marc Bresniker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi John, there is a default set of monitors for the appliance itself. You set the performance thresholds for those monitors. Chapter 7 of the user guide explains the various monitors. For example I just unplugged the appliance on my network, a few minutes later I checked the portal and the status of the site shows Site Communications Down, multiple alarms. I also get an e-mail based on the severity of that alarm.

-Marc

None of those monitors say "HOST UP DOWN" or something to that effect.  Only WAN PERFORMANCE, Memory etc. etc.  I will read on what WAN PERFORMANCE actually does.  It is just that the other monitors for other devices has an HOST UP DOWN monitor...

I had rebooted the PLG1000 and no alerts came to me.  I also upgraded firmware and they rebooted, no alerts either.  The portal did show the site down.  I received no emails or alerts.

John,

The OnPlus Agent itself is monitored from the portal, all other monitors are run from the OnPlus Agent.  The portal monitoring can't distinguish between the OnPlus Agent being turned off, rebooted, or disconnected, and some other connectivity issue (local switch, router), bad WAN connection, etc.  So the problem is reported as an event which is labelled "OnPlus: Connection Status" when adding a notification rule.

To avoid false alarms, the event is raise as a Notice if the connection loss is expected (for example if the OnPlus Agent is expected to reboot due to a software update or a reboot command from the portal).  The event is raised as a warning if the connection loss was unexpected.  The default notification rule is set to alert on unexpected connection loss and not on expected connection loss.

So in this case if you look at the event history for the OnPlus Agent you should see the events listed.  If you want notification of the expected connection loss, you can add a specific notification rule for that.

As an experiment, you can unplug the OnPlus Agent and you should see a warning notification within a minute or two.

Andy