cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Thinking outloud, remote computer management???

Brian Bergin
Level 4
Level 4

So I'm sitting here thinking how else could TBA be utilitized and it struk me, if we're eventually able to monitor and manage Cisco SMB routers like the SA and RV series (hopefully, we have a ton of RV082's out there), I'd love to be able to use the TBA Portal to remote control PCs.  Here's how I envision it:

1) You get a call from a customer that needs help with a PC (assumes the PC is online);

2) You go into the Portal and find that PC and choose an optoin to remote control that PC;

3) The Portal creates an SSL VPN (though that's not available on the RV082, I believe it is on the SA500 series) or it sends commands to your router to add a VPN connection to the customer site and connects you via VNC (or whatever you setup as your remote control tool) and you're connected (assumes you already setup the remote computers to be remote controlled).

I am really just thinking out loud here.  I'm not really sure of how this would work.  It'd be easy to do with GoToMyPC but that's expensive when there are other free options out there, which include a VPN and VNC/RDP connection.

Thoughts?

2 Replies 2

We received several similar requests during our Focus group session in Vegas. RDP was one that came up a few times. We will be discussing this internally and see how it fits within our broader strategy. What priority level would you give it? High, Medium, Low?

Marcos

Everything is alway a high priority for me, but in this case I would think Low to Medium.  Perhaps for the first major revision after the product ships.  For now I'd rather you focus on better system identification (both system name and what device it's connected to, none of our systems have identified correctly if they're connected to a device other than the ESW) and more Cisco devices rather than remote control.

Also, RDP is a great tool, but it doesn't allow interaction with a customer so there needs to be an option for tools like VNC that do.

BSB