cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Thunderbolt Forum - RSS Feed Broken

Brook Powers
Level 1
Level 1

I emailed citoy@cisco.com and 'supportforums-info@cisco.com', but have received no response.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/feeds/allcontent?community=2179

• Server returned HTTP Error 401: Unauthorized [help]

Sorry

An error occurred while trying to validate this feed.

Possible causes:

1. The address may be incorrect. Make sure the address is spelled correctly. Try loading the feed directly in your browser to make sure a feed exists at that address.
  2. The feed may be temporarily unavailable. The server may be down, or too slow. Try again later.
6 Replies 6

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brook,

You can obviously log on to the portal since you posted this message, so your credentials are valid.  I've just tested subscribing to the feed and it is working ok for me at the moment.

Can I ask what client you are using to manage the feed?  If it is also a web browser (eg if you use Firefox Live BookMarks), can you log on to the portal with that browser and then try and access the feed?

In terms of getting this looked at by the team that supports the communities, both Cindy and the supportforums-info alias are good contact points.  I am sure you will get a response from one of those shortly anyway, but meanwhile, lets try and get to the bottom of this.

Cheers,

Dave.

Ok, I'm guessing this isn't a client problem then.   FWIW, I just tried again using the same IE version and again, it worked fine.

And you are logged on to the community ok with IE while trying to access the feed, aren't you?  In that case, we will have to wait until the forum administrators can have a look, as it sounds like it must be something specific to your userid.  It's a bit late where most of the team is located right now, but I'd expect a response from them tomorrow at the latest.

Cheers,

Dave.

Michael Whitley
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brook,

I am a big fan of RSS feeds as well. The error you are seeing is likely a result of this particular forum being a private, invite-only, type of forum. If this were not a restricted forum then the RSS feed would probably work.

I have never had much luck pulling RSS feeds which require credentials for a particular feed which is the case here.

Michael

Mike is correct. I just got an email from the forum administrator confirming that RSS does not work in private communities.

Thanks,

Marcos

I have received emails from a few people advising that they would like to read posts and interact with Cisco via RSS, but they cannot for whatever reasons.

The forum administrator has advised me that there is a known issue with RSS feeds on private forums such as this one.

Cisco should consider that it is important for Cisco to provide information in a manner most convenient for the recipient. This increases participation.

Most if not all RSS readers have a username/password authentication capability.

Additionally, for some inexplicable reason, Cisco currently truncates posts on open forums to the first few sentences. This makes using RSS as a means of participation almost useless. Nobody is going to read the first sentence of a post in RSS then open every item in IE to finish the post/article.

In addition to the above, the Jive middleware or whatever you are using between Community Server and RSS frequently produces 404 and other errors.

Every time I e-mail to complain it seems to get fixed for a while.

I suggest the following fixes, in order of importance;

1. Stop truncating the RSS items - make the full post/article/document available via RSS

2. Do whatever is necessary to improve the reliability of the RSS feed (perhaps use a Thuinderbolt device to monitor it)

3. See if you can make prrivate forums available via RSS with username/password authentication

Thank you.