cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Warning messages regarding bandwidth

john.grange
Level 1
Level 1

Lately I have been getting a lot of warning messages regarding bandwidth and network performance, sometimes several times an hour, is there a way to tune this without turning it completely off?

Also I have noticed that the warning messages on this are a bit confusing, when you say network latency on this device exceeds X, between what and what are we measuring?

2 Replies 2

Michael Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi John,

This is an indication of a congested WAN path between the TBA and www.ciscovar.com.  It's most likely with the location's WAN link, but it's also possible that internet routing is the culprit.  If this condition continues it's probably worth taking a more in-depth look from the location's network outwards to see why it's happening.  Could be an upstream ISP problem.  I've used http://www.internetpulse.net in the past to see if it's a bigger internet issue.

You can tune the thresholds for this bandwidth sensor by logging into the portal, click on the customer location, then double-click the TBA device and click the Monitors tab.  Look at the Network Performance Monitor, you can adjust the latency, loss, and jitter parameters to more reasonable values if the WAN connection for that particular location is notoriously slow.

We'd also love to get feedback if you believe the defaults we provide don't cover the broadest use cases.  For this particular sensor, I pulled the current default values out of thin air.

-mike

Thank you, this will be very helpful. The particular site is using a Comcast business class cable connection.