cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone (Line) Status from CUCM or CUPS with a Web Request?

contracts
Level 1
Level 1

How would one query CUCM (or CUPS) for near real-time phone/line appearance status (On-Hook, Off-Hook) without using any client side software like Jabber or a JTAPI plug-in?

From what I can find SOAP requests against CUCM will not provide this info.  SOAP requests against a CUPS server does provide both the Basic and/or Rich Presence info but ONLY if you’re using a software client like Jabber.

Is there really no way to query this simple bit of info with a web request?

Thanks in advance!

4 Replies 4

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I've seen applications query the phone's onboard web server pages to glean this information, i.e. /StreamingStatisticsX - it is possible to see if any audio streams are in progress, which is a good clue.  This approach necessitates knowing the phone's IP address.

CUP typically is configured to have phone-based presence information from UCM, and you should be able to use CAXL or the server-side SOAP API to get this status.  Can you elaborate more on the mentioned restriction to software clients..?

I understand a REST-based next-gen call-control interface with capabilities similar to TAPI/JTAPI is being contemplated for a future release.

Thanks Dstaudt,

Polling the phones directly is a very interesting idea; we’ll have to investigate that option.

I’m able to pull accurate info from CUPS…

(

[unavailable] =>

[phone-status] => available

[im-status] => unavailable

)

The problem I ran into is the [phone-status] response – it’s only updated in CUPS if the end-user is using some sort of software client.  In our environment Jabber will change the phone-status value but a physical phone by itself will not change the phone-status value.  I had opened a TAC case and the engineer confirmed that what I’m seeing is the expected behavior but it still seems a bit strange to me.

For users with just a phone, I would expect the top-level presence status to reflect the phone hook state - i.e. unavailable=off-hook, available=on-hook.

Sorry for using this thread for my question, but I've a similar one, so I hope that's ok

I'd like to get the status of specific lines aswell, but querying CUPS is unfortunately no solution for me. I'm developing a java application, so as far as I could find out, JTAPI could be a solution. Of course I was able to find the Dev Guide, but to be honest I'm not sure where to start and how? A little help would be very appreciated, thanks in advance!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: