g1smdvoip
Level 3
Level 3

Symptom:

Customer cannot dial numbers for France country code - 0033

Conditions:

CM BE 3000 dial-plan does not have the pattern for the 0033* dialing

Locale - cm-locale-english_united_kingdom_CP-8.6.4.10000-1.cop.sgn

Pattern available - \+3[578]X! and \+3[0-2469]!

Workaround:

Under Sites > choose the site > Edit > Route using a custom dial plan  > Edit Dial Plan Patterns

And we can edit the pattern.

12 Replies 12

g1smdvoip
Level 3
Level 3

In the documentation for a recent GB dialplan I see these patterns listed:

# 00+3[0-469]+!

P: 00                            INTERNATIONAL-ACCESS

P: 3[0-469]                      COUNTRY-CODE

P: !                             NATIONAL-NUMBER

# 00+3[578]X+!

P: 3[578]X                       COUNTRY-CODE

and

# 00+3[0-469]+!+#

P: 3[0-469]                      COUNTRY-CODE

P: #                             END-OF-DIALING

# 00+3[578]X+!+#

P: 3[578]X                       COUNTRY-CODE

P: #                             END-OF-DIALING

Is this an old bug that someone forgot to close?

CSCud64601 is a duplicate of CSCuc48084, which would be the canonical bug number for informaiton about this problem.

Oh, I thought that CSCuc48084 covered all the issues raised in this thread:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2171992

Those issues have nothing whatsoever to do with dialling French numbers from the UK so I don't understand how CSCud64601, which does, can be a "duplicate".

I agree that the language can be a bit confusing. 

Here's how to intepret it: The patch used to fix CSCuc48084 also incidentally fixed the issues in CSCud64601, so CSCud64601 is regarded as a duplicate for purposes of tracking where the fix is applied.

In a perfect world, the bug headline and release note of CSCuc48084 would be updated to reflect this fact.  However, the "duplicate" marking indicates that the work to fix CSCud64601 was executed as part of fixing CSCuc48084.

Is there still an unsolved problem that I am overlooking?

As far as I know, CSCud64601 appears to have been fixed some time ago, as the GBNP "flat pattern file" now includes the correct code for calling France. Whether the right code is also found within the actual software is another matter, and it is not one that I am able to check.

It might be that some Cisco products contain the right code and other products do not. Cisco is not noted for clear and accurate version control. Indeed many versioning and labelling errors in the 'downloads' section remain unacknowledged and unfixed after many months.

The patch used to fix CSCuc48084

What patch? As far as I know, CSCuc48084 has NOT been fixed. I first alerted Cisco to various GBNP issues more than 15 months ago. Some of the GBNP documentation was fixed after many months, but the software remains crippled with various errors in the GBNP patterns, some of which stretch back to 2003. That's the list in https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2171992 which one poster refers to as https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3740411 instead.

Hello Ian -

I'm sorry to hear about this.  Do you have a support case open?  Perhaps the bug was mistakenly marked a duplicate.  I'm not really sure about the history. 

I just looked at CSCuc48084 and indeed it is does not seem like it is fixed.  I'm not sure what the logic is behind the duplicate marking.

Cisco strives for clear and accurate version control.  If you have the energy to work with us and help us untangle the version and labelling errors that you are talking about in the downloads section, I might be able to team you up with someone who can drive them through.  How have you been reporting the errors that are unacknowledged?  Let's see if we can also fix the reporting channel while we are at it.  Some of the feedback channels are one-way (like customer surveys) and are not chartered to respond.  Let's make sure we point your issues into an accountable channel. 

I will go tag one of the UC folks to see if they can make a better assesment that I did.  Stay tuned.

OK, got it.   I'm not sure what the official channel is to report software center errors, but I will find out.  I'm sorry that your research fell on deaf ears, let me see if I can redirect your findings to the right place.

Good luck!

Hello Ian!

I tracked down the responsible party that managea the "Download Software" page and they were grateful for the detailed information you provided.  They, in turn, have engaged the person from the UC software team that curates the content and hopefully they will both manage to fix the problem and fix the process that allowed that bad information to be released.

They don't monitor the support forums as a matter of course, so your information slipped through the cracks.  I apologize for that.  They do, however, monitor the "Feedback" link on the "Download Software" page:

In the future, you can report problems through that links in order to directly notify the parties that maintain the page.  If you find that channel non-responsive, please use the forums or other support channels (like the TAC) to hold us to account.

Thank for your your patience and detailed feedback.

As for your ofiginal question, the TAC may be the correct channel to determine why the dial plan bug is not fixed.  The UC Guru colleague who frequents this forum is on holiday so the TAC is probably the more time effective path.

I hadn't looked at the feedback buttons recently.

My first encounter with the Cisco feedback process was very messy:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2134071

I might risk it again.

Yes, we definitely blew it there!  Organization and personnel changes sometime wreak havoc on processes, especially ones that don't see heavy use.

At least for bug related discussions, there are a few of us in Cisco that get an email alert for every post.  Unless we all leave, you should get some level of responsiveness here.  Don't hesitate to be a pest if you aren't getting a response.  Being a pest lets us know that you care :-).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: