cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSCvn77156 - Cisco Secure Boot Hardware Tampering Vulnerability

Sridhar Anbalagan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

My customer is impacted by this vulnerability. They have around 300+ ISR4K device. I have couple of questions.

1. I hope the attacker needs a console access or physical access to the device to trigger the vulnerability? Please confirm the same.
  2. Instead of upgrading the CPLD via Rommon, May I use Hardware-Programmable Firmware Package and upgrade hw-programmable cpld cli to upgrade the CPLD remotely?

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The flaw is in the ROMMON so an attacker will need physical access to the appliance.
Cisco has already released a patches to close this vulnerability.

I would guess also remote console access is vulnerable, not only physical access.

@Leo Laohoo wrote:

The flaw is in the ROMMON so an attacker will need physical access to the appliance.

betoul.alsabagh
Level 1
Level 1

We have this issue too, can we upgrade the Firmware of the ISR 4331 remotely? as we have these routers in our branches

@betoul.alsabagh wrote:

can we upgrade the Firmware of the ISR 4331 remotely

No, not possible.  The patch needs to be executed in ROMMON.  

Kindly read this:  Instructions for Addressing the Cisco Secure Boot Hardware Tampering Vulnerability on Cisco ISR 4000 Series Routers

NOTE:  If an unauthoried person has managed to gain access to your router and switches, these (router and switches) are the least of your worries, particularly when the site(s) have servers or other hardware.