cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSCvo72468 - Clarify why SD-WAN IOS-XE images do not allow you to enter config t'

bhinder119
Level 1
Level 1
I have a brand new ISR 4321 that came with IOS 16.9.2. I tried the workaround and booted to the .bin file on flash "isr4300-ucmk9.16.9.2.SPA.bin". However, I still can't enter config mode. I get "This command is not supported." Enable privelage says 15. What can I do to resolve this?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

bhinder119
Level 1
Level 1

I opened a TAC case and received the below response. I sent them a "show ver" and "show boot" and we were able to confirm the thought of the router being shipped with SD-WAN IOS-XE. He suggested to do the steps below. I asked if Cisco has this "officially" documented anywhere for ISR4Ks that get shipped with SD-WAN IOS-XE, but am still waiting for a response. Will post when received. 

EDIT (04/19/2019): My Cisco rep has told me you can order the ISR4Ks with the traditional IOS-XE. Our vendor made a mistake when the order was placed. I advise everyone to pay close attention to what they're ordering. 

TAC:

From the case notes and the version you mentioned I am considering that this router was shipped with an SD-WAN IOS-XE software, since the standart IOS-XE doesn't have Fuji 16.9.2 release.

If I am right with my assumption the image on the router is : "isr4300-ucmk9.16.9.2.SPA.bin"

If that is the case, than it is expected behavior, since the configuration on SD-WAN is being pulled from server and not being configured localy.

To get this resolved, we are to download and run an IOS-XE image (need USB stick or TFTP for example, so we can boot the IOS-XE image).

1. Steps to be done: Download the image, move it to the USb / or the TFTP root
  2. Reload the router and break it in rommon (we have to boot from rommon) - here is a list with the break-key-sequence commands based on the CLI you are using: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/10000-series-routers/12818-61.html
  3. Once in rommon we use the following command:
    1. Rommon 1> boot usbflash0:<imagename.bin>
      1. - please use the command "dev" - to see exactly how the usb stick will be named. Also if using USB, prior inserting it into the router, format the stick to FAT32 file system (preferably use a smaller size USB, or we risk the USB not to be recognized).
  1. Once the image gets extracted into the memory from the USB we have a fully fuctional IOS-XE software running and we can copy that image over to the router flash with the following command:
    1. Router#copy usbflash0: bootflash:
    2. <follow the prompts>
  1.  Once the image is copied over to the bootflash, please set a bootstatement that point to that image:
    1. En
    2. Conf t
    3. No boot sys
    4. Boot system bootflash:<imagename.bin>
    5. End
    6. Write

Finally pull out the usb stick from the router and reload it to confirm that the router is able to boot the IOS-XE by itself."

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

bhinder119
Level 1
Level 1

I opened a TAC case and received the below response. I sent them a "show ver" and "show boot" and we were able to confirm the thought of the router being shipped with SD-WAN IOS-XE. He suggested to do the steps below. I asked if Cisco has this "officially" documented anywhere for ISR4Ks that get shipped with SD-WAN IOS-XE, but am still waiting for a response. Will post when received. 

EDIT (04/19/2019): My Cisco rep has told me you can order the ISR4Ks with the traditional IOS-XE. Our vendor made a mistake when the order was placed. I advise everyone to pay close attention to what they're ordering. 

TAC:

From the case notes and the version you mentioned I am considering that this router was shipped with an SD-WAN IOS-XE software, since the standart IOS-XE doesn't have Fuji 16.9.2 release.

If I am right with my assumption the image on the router is : "isr4300-ucmk9.16.9.2.SPA.bin"

If that is the case, than it is expected behavior, since the configuration on SD-WAN is being pulled from server and not being configured localy.

To get this resolved, we are to download and run an IOS-XE image (need USB stick or TFTP for example, so we can boot the IOS-XE image).

1. Steps to be done: Download the image, move it to the USb / or the TFTP root
  2. Reload the router and break it in rommon (we have to boot from rommon) - here is a list with the break-key-sequence commands based on the CLI you are using: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/10000-series-routers/12818-61.html
  3. Once in rommon we use the following command:
    1. Rommon 1> boot usbflash0:<imagename.bin>
      1. - please use the command "dev" - to see exactly how the usb stick will be named. Also if using USB, prior inserting it into the router, format the stick to FAT32 file system (preferably use a smaller size USB, or we risk the USB not to be recognized).
  1. Once the image gets extracted into the memory from the USB we have a fully fuctional IOS-XE software running and we can copy that image over to the router flash with the following command:
    1. Router#copy usbflash0: bootflash:
    2. <follow the prompts>
  1.  Once the image is copied over to the bootflash, please set a bootstatement that point to that image:
    1. En
    2. Conf t
    3. No boot sys
    4. Boot system bootflash:<imagename.bin>
    5. End
    6. Write

Finally pull out the usb stick from the router and reload it to confirm that the router is able to boot the IOS-XE by itself."

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: