cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSCvp40710 - Webcam Light stuck on' forever by Webex Desktop App---appears to user they are being 'spied on'

I found this bug when searching for why my Webcam light is stuck on.  I haven't used this webcam in years, but have started using it again whilst working from home and wanting a better angle than that provided by the laptop camera.

So anyway, it is also a Microsoft Lifecam model 1381.  I am using Webex Meetings desktop app version 40.2.12.18.  Which is apparently the most up to date according to the update checker.

The symptoms are the same as reported in the bug.  When I exit the app the light turns off.  When I start the app then the light remains on.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So I figured out what is causing the LifeCam to light up.  Cisco Webex Teams and Meetings apps use the microphone to listen for ultrasonic signals from room devices to automatically join meetings to the room device when you get within range.  Since the apps are using the mic, the light on the LifeCam lights up (interestingly, even if you select a different mic to use, the LifeCam still lights up - perhaps in an effort to notify the user that ANY mic is being used).

To make the light go off, do the following:

Go into the options of the app (for teams, the icon right above the help in the lower right).

Go to "Devices" on the right column.

Uncheck "Use ultrasound".

This will stop Webex from constantly using the microphone.  If this is on a mobile device, be aware that it will no longer auto discover room devices once you turn this off (they may still be discoverable via WiFi, but that method is much less reliable).  I use my phone with Webex apps to perform the auto discover of room devices, so this is no problem for me (most people using LifeCams will be at a desktop that doesn't need this functionality anyway).

Hope this helps everyone.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

hans.schroeder
Level 1
Level 1

I have had this issue for well over a year, since I started using Webex Meetings.  The problem has never gone away in any version.  It's annoying enough that I stopped using the software.  Recently with work from home changes, our organization has started using Webex Teams and Webex Meetings more, so I downloaded the latest version of both and installed them.  Both programs cause the issue.  I am / have been using a Microsoft LifeCam Studio.

So I figured out what is causing the LifeCam to light up.  Cisco Webex Teams and Meetings apps use the microphone to listen for ultrasonic signals from room devices to automatically join meetings to the room device when you get within range.  Since the apps are using the mic, the light on the LifeCam lights up (interestingly, even if you select a different mic to use, the LifeCam still lights up - perhaps in an effort to notify the user that ANY mic is being used).

To make the light go off, do the following:

Go into the options of the app (for teams, the icon right above the help in the lower right).

Go to "Devices" on the right column.

Uncheck "Use ultrasound".

This will stop Webex from constantly using the microphone.  If this is on a mobile device, be aware that it will no longer auto discover room devices once you turn this off (they may still be discoverable via WiFi, but that method is much less reliable).  I use my phone with Webex apps to perform the auto discover of room devices, so this is no problem for me (most people using LifeCams will be at a desktop that doesn't need this functionality anyway).

Hope this helps everyone.

This solved the problem.  Although in my version of Webex the setting is "Video systems > Automatically discover nearby devices".