Views
Helpful
Replies

Help Packet Tracer - enabling all interfaces on Router1

marcel.lee
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I'm new on Cisco Community. I'm running one of the labs in my introductory course online which includes a packet tracer software.

On the CLI of Router1, as I type the command "clock rate 2000000", it displays "This command applies only to DCE interfaces".

I was wondering if I did the cabling wrong or I added the wrong modules in the expansion slots.

Attached files are included.

Thank you for your help in advance,

Marcel

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am not a packet tracer user but this is more of serial config.

A Serial Cable has a DCE and a DTE side. The DCE side is elected as the Clock Master, so the device which has the DCE side of the cable connected to it must be the one in which you enter the clock rate command.

To determine what side of the cable is connected, you can use the command show controllers s0/0.

Top you'll see it labeled as DTE or DCE. you like below :

buffer size 1524 HD unit 0, V.35 DTE cable

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji,

I use the command show controllers s0/0 and yes it shows DTE. However, this lab it says I must choose the correct cable to connect Router0 Ser0/0/0 to Router1 Ser0/0.

I appreciate your help.

Thank you,

Marcel

Not sure what is the Lab you doing, Serial one side DTE another side DCE, the clock rate can only apply as mentioned below.

You need to apply this command where DCE - "clock rate 2000000", it displays "This command applies only to DCE interfaces".

BB

I see. Is it possible that I added the wrong modules in Router0, Router1, or both?

Hi Balaji,

I checked the lab, it says enable all interfaces on both routers with the "clock rate" command and must be connected with serial connection. Is this possible?

Marcel

Its been Long i hav worked on Serial : Most cases - This command is used to set the clock rate on serial links. While you can configure the clock rate on both ends of the serial link, the router will only accept the command on the DCE end.

sh controller s0/0 | in DCE|DTE
cable type : V.11 (X.21) DCE cable, received clockrate 128000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQsHGkIrLxY

BB