Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS-XR 32 bit BGP process memory allocation

Gavino
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have been working on a ASR9K 32 bit running IOS-XR 6.3 and I have some questions regarding memory allocation for the BGP process. BGP is configured with soft reset and support neighbors dynamic inbound soft reset. Lately, I have made a change to drastically reduce the number of prefixes in the BGP table, from about 7 millions to less than a million, but I have not seen a change in the memory usage for the process. I have checked memory using the command "show process memory JID location XXX". At this point, I have a few questions:

1. Is the command "show process memory ..." the best way to check memory utilization by the BGP process? I would like to avoid the process running out of memory and crashing. Since this is a 32 bit platform, I assume that the limit of addressable memory is set to 4GB.
  2. Where are the prefixes stored in the different memory locations as shown by the command "show process memory ..." (Text, Data, Stack or Dynamic)?
  3. What is the best way to see how much total memory the process is consuming and what is left? Assuming the 4GB limit for 32 bit architecture, if I sum up all the fields provided by the "show process memory ..."  command, I do not get even remotely close to that value.

@xthuijs 

Thank you!

Regards,

Gavino Cherchi

3 Replies 3

You want to save the memory ?
can I see the full config of the BGP?
keep in mind that 

• Soft reset—A soft reset uses stored prefix information to reconfigure and activate BGP routing tables without tearing down existing peering sessions. Soft reconfiguration uses stored update information, at the cost of additional memory for storing the updates, to allow you to apply new BGP policy without disrupting the network. Soft reconfiguration can be configured for inbound or outbound sessions.

Hello @MHM Cisco World ,

Thank you for your quick reply and suggestion. I guess the real questions that myself and my team have is around memory allocation and how we can reliably check memory to avoid the BGP process from crashing for lack of it.

and I see inbound soft reset that why I ask config, the soft reset save all prefix learn from neighbor, 
so even you see 1M in show ip bgp 
there are 5M save in memory. 
but let be so sure share config and i will check it