cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus upgrade path and ISSU

simone.c
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I have a bunch of Nexus 9k which I would like to bring to release 10.2.x.

There's one thing which I find very confusing: the upgrade matrix you can find in https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/dcn/tools/nexus-9k3k-issu-matrix/index.html referso to upgrades when using ISSU. Let's say I don't care about ISSU but I want to do a disruptive upgrade, can I upgrade from release 7.0(3)I7(3) directly to 10.2(3) or do I still need the same intermediate upgrades? I tried to find such info in the release notes (like minimum SW requirements), but was not able to find anything.

Second question (somehow related to the first): I have a bunch of N9k which booted in ACI mode and have no NX-OS image in the bootflash. My understanding is that I need to provide the image via USB and copy it from USB to bootflash. But question is, can I load onto the USB stick whatever NX-OS version I want? If I pick a recent release, can I be sure my N9k will be able to boot it with no issues?

Thanks all!

6 Replies 6

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @simone.c,

here your upgrade pass for your Nexus 9k

M02rt37_0-1694607081370.png

source:https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/dcn/tools/nexus-9k3k-issu-matrix/index.html#cur=7.0(3)I7(2)&tar=10.2(3)F

=> refer to Cisco's official documentation as concerned your Nexus 9k model and support resources to determine the compatible and recommended NX-OS version.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Hi M02@rt37,

I think you didn't really read my question. You posted the same link I posted.. this webpage explicitly mentions ISSU.

Is that upgrade path necessary even when you perform disruptive upgrade, or could you go directly from 7.0(3)I7(3) to 10.2(3) if you are willing to have a disruptive upgrade?

Yes @simone.c sorry I just stop on the title "Nexus upgrade path and ISSU".

Non disruptive from 7.0(3)I7(3) to 10.2(3) (not a minor upgrade) cross finger, close your eyes and jump directly to 10.2(3)!

... / ...

If I were you i follow this upgrade path too. You should generally perform intermediate upgrades ! It will generally yield the best, most stable results during an "upgrade maintenance window".

Best regards

hi M02@rt37,

appreciate your feedback.

What about my second question. If you had a N9k which booted in ACI mode and no NX-OS in bootflash, what would you do? Would you go ahead and install a recent (supported of course) release?

You're welcome @simone.c,

I would check NX-OS version and install it following the recommendations as concerned my Nexus model.

Best regards

Thank you for your feedback, M02@rt37.

Would love to hear the opinion of a Cisco employee on this.