cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Tracer question - cable modem?

mikecressey
Level 1
Level 1

I am newbie to using Packet Tracer. I'm running one of the labs in the Introductory course and it requires using a cable modem. I am running 7.2.2 which is clearly newer than the version of PT used in the tutorial.  I have searched the entire menu and I cannot find a cable modem.  Is it now some other device or is it no longer supported?  If so, is there a substitute that I can use to complete the lab.

Thanks.

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @mikecressey 

Try this:

Network Devices > WAN Emulation > Cable Modem

12.jpg

Regards

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @mikecressey 

Try this:

Network Devices > WAN Emulation > Cable Modem

12.jpg

Regards

Thank you.  I know I looked there but for some reason I missed it.

I'm trying to follow a Cisco packet tracer tutorial.  I have a Home Wireless router and the cable modem connected to each other (Select the copper straight-through cable in the device-selection box and attach it to the Internet interface of the wireless router and the Port 1 interface of the cable modem).  For some reason, the two devices always show as disconnected (red triangles).  I cannot seem to get them to connect.  I'm sure it's something simple but the lab instructions may be missing something.

Any ideas how I can get these two devices to talk to each other?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Hi @mikecressey 

Compress your exercise (winzip) and attach it to check.

Regards

Thank you for looking at this.  Here the tutorial and my .pkt file.

Mike

Hi @mikecressey 

All you have to do is switch the wire to a Copper Cross-Over

123.JPG

Regards

Thanks for the help

Thanks Mike.

Thank you

I had this same issue!  I was looking at the picture from the tutorial too, and it says "The wireless router will need a copper straight-through cable to connect to the cable modem." on Page 4 in 2.1.1.5 Packet Tracer – Creating a Simple Network Using Packet Tracer 

How come we have to use cross-over cable instead of straight through?

Also, I tried using FastEthernet on the "Internet" Configuration tab > Connections tab, on the "cable" section, instead of using "Ethernet" I used FastEthernet with Coaxial.  For some reason, if I choose FastEthernet pinging the Cisco.com server doesn't work, but if I go back and switch it to "Ethernet6", the ping does work.  

screenshot_170.png

Any idea why that is? 

Thank you for the awesome help.

THANKS FOR THE HELP MATE...

Hi Im have an issue connecting the cross-over cable, it shows red triangles but when i connect a straight through cable it works how come 

Thank you

Me too. The same trouble. Now is ok thanks. so much.!!!!

Thanks

That did it.  Thank you so much! 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: