Views
Helpful
Replies

pinging request timed out

tayyib844
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I'm currently struggling trying to ping my devices but I keep on getting request timed out it only works when i ping the devices on the same VLAN all the devices are connected with dhcp and they are getting the ip addresses but they cant seem to ping together. I can ping to the layer 3 switch just fine its just with the end devices on the different VLAN any suggestions. 

5 Replies 5

James Adrian
Level 1
Level 1

If you're able to ping devices within the same VLAN but not across different VLANs, and the devices are successfully obtaining IP addresses via DHCP, the issue likely lies in the inter-VLAN routing or the access control lists (ACLs) on your network devices. Here are some steps to troubleshoot:

1. Check Inter-VLAN Routing: Ensure that your Layer 3 switch is correctly configured for inter-VLAN routing. This usually involves setting up Virtual LAN interfaces (SVIs) for each VLAN and enabling routing.

2. Inspect VLAN Configuration: Verify that the VLANs are correctly defined and that the ports are assigned to the appropriate VLANs.

3. Review Access Control Lists (ACLs): Check if there are any ACLs that might be blocking traffic between VLANs. Sometimes, ACLs are set up to restrict traffic for security reasons, and they might be too restrictive.

4. Examine Subnetting and Gateway Settings: Ensure that the subnetting is correctly done and that the devices have the correct default gateway settings. The gateway should typically be the IP address of the Layer 3 switch’s VLAN interface.

5. Firewall/Security Settings: If there are firewalls or other security appliances in the network, check their configurations to ensure they are not blocking the ICMP packets used for pinging.

6. Physical Connectivity and Duplex Mismatch: Confirm that there are no physical connectivity issues or duplex mismatches on the network interfaces.

7. Software and Firmware Updates: Ensure that the network devices are running the latest software and firmware versions, as bugs in older versions might cause such issues.

If after these checks the issue persists, it might be helpful to capture and analyze network traffic on the switch or use network troubleshooting tools to further diagnose the problem.

Thanks but unfortunately i tried everything and even re configuring it but still nothing maybe I’m missing something 

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @tayyib844 

Add ip routing command on your L3 switch.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

ip routing is already enabled so I need to enable it on every interface

aj3878121
Level 1
Level 1
  1. Confirm VLAN Setup: Make sure each VLAN is correctly configured on your switch.
  2. Enable IP Routing: Check that IP routing is active on your layer 3 switch to allow VLANs to talk to each other.
  3. Check Subnet Masks: Ensure that all devices have the correct subnet masks and gateways, typically the IP of the VLAN interface on your layer 3 switch.
  4. Review DHCP Settings: Double-check your DHCP settings to ensure they're assigning the right gateway and subnet.
  5. Inspect Security Rules: Look for any firewall or security settings that might block ICMP (ping) across VLANs.
  6. Try a Static IP: Temporarily set a static IP in one VLAN and try pinging it from another to see if DHCP might be the issue.

Going through these steps should help you pinpoint and fix the problem so your devices can communicate smoothly across different VLANs.