Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommended Software on Cisco 4510R+E switch

ciscoworlds
Level 4
Level 4

Hi.

We're deploying ISE 2.4 on a customer site where there are many Catalyst 4510R+E switches with Supervisor 7-E installed on them and a few WS-X4748-RJ45V+E line cards per each chassis.  

As we encountered with many strange behaviors regarding dot1x on these switches, we have decided to upgrade the IOS-XE software on them. Currently all of them run IOS-XE 03.04.06.SG. I took a look at the software center on Cisco website but didn't managed to find a "recommended" or "golden"image there. So I need to know if any version on 4510R+E Sup-7 has been labeled as  "recommended" or "golden"image. 

regards;

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Try the latest 3.8.X.
Make sure you read the Release Notes because upgrading to 3.8.X requires a ROMmon upgrade.

Hi;

I read the release note which said the ROM upgrade is needed for supervisor 8-E. The current switches have Sup-7 so there is no need for Rom upgrade I think based on the release notes. 

Regarding the IOS-XE version, I didn't managed to find anything documented, so I would probably go with the version you said to see if those strange behaviors are eliminated. 

tnx. 

@ciscoworlds wrote:

The current switches have Sup-7 so there is no need for Rom upgrade I think based on the release notes. 

Release Notes states: 

• If you are upgrading to Cisco IOS XE Release 3.8.xE and using Supervisor Engine 7-E or 7L-E, you must use ROMMON version 15.0(1r)SG10 or a higher version (if available).

My recommendation is:  If you're going to do an upgrade, ignore the "recommended minimum" version of 15.0(1r)SG10 and upgrade to whatever latest is being offered.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: