cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading multiple WLC iOS, what is the correct sequence?

CiscoBro
Level 1
Level 1

We have 20 Cisco WLC 5509 that we are trying to upgrade ios.

The AP's point to 2 primary and secondary controllers.

All 300 AP's are spread out across 20 Controllers.

Question.

1. Can i upgrade firmware in controllers one by one in sequence?

2. Do i need to upgrade field recovery image version?

3. Do i need to predownload AP image before reloading WLC with new image?

4. If the latest firmware version needs a jump to an intermediate version (as per the release notes). Do i need the system to fully come up with an intermediate firmware before upgrading it to latest code. Essentially doing code upgrade twice?

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6

CiscoBro
Level 1
Level 1

Bump

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What firmware are the controllers running on and what version are you planning to upgrade to?

Current Version--8.0.140

Trying to upgrade to Latest--8.5.140

Field recovery image version 7.0

NOTE:  The latest is 8.5.151.0.

Read the Release Notes carefully.  It is not possible to go from 8.0.X.X to 8.5.X.X without upgrading to an intermediate version first like 8.2.16X.0 or 8.3.X.X

Yes I am aware of that.

I am asking how should I proceed to upgrade to 8.2 version. I have 20 controllers and couple hundred AP's spread across all 20 controllers.

Do I have to upgrade primary and secondary controller that AP points to simultaneously?

I'd upgrade all the secondary controllers to 8.5, move all the APs to the upgraded WLC and then upgrade the primary controllers.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: