cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why can't a home user download software for EOL/EOS Cisco equipment?

CountSpatz
Level 1
Level 1

I got my CCNA years ago and have been a Cisco user not only professionally but in my home. It is always good to go with what you know especially in your home. I a not sure how long ago it happened but now I can no longer upgrade my equipment or any "new" equipment that I purchase to upgrade my home network. I noticed that now in order to get those downloads you need to have a service contract. When I called in regards to it I was told that you can't even get a service contract as an individual. Why? I am not asking for anyone to replace my hardware or troubleshoot for me or develop new software for my EOL equipment. But why cut me off from a download that is already there and available on your website. Professionally I work for a MAJOR company that has a MAJOR global footprint. It is things like this that will make me NOT want to use Cisco equipment going forward and purchase our infrastructure from other vendors. At least give me as an individual the option to buy a maintenance contract for those downloads. Ridiculous!

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Money. 

If someone continues to use EoS/EoL product this translates to lost sales.  

Planned or Accelerated obsolescence is a big part of the strategy.  

CountSpatula
Level 1
Level 1

That is a completely ridiculous answer. I understand that Cisco is a business and your main goal is to be profitable. Cisco will continue to make more products and innovate and sell hardware. Companies will continue to buy your products and services. I am an enthusiast and enjoy using enterprise grade equipment at home. Again I know the hardware. But I, as an individual, can't afford to buy new Cisco equipment AND pay for the service contracts. So that is why I go after the used equipment that I can afford. I am guessing that what you are saying is that you don't want want people, like me, buying used Cisco equipment? Basically saying screw you to the enthusiasts or those that want to set up labs for training/testing as I did to get my CCNA. You have already made money off of this equipment. You made money off of the service contracts. Again, I am not asking for you to maintain my equipment or continue to develop updates for it. Just simply give me the ability to download the software you already have on your website. Truly, what is it hurting to do that?

ahmadpak5000
Level 1
Level 1

Helpful content