Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC9800 17.3.4c and AP9120AXI Hardware Revision 7

dlhai1986
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Friends, 

Could anyone guide me in this question? I already have WLC 9800 with OS version 17.3.4c running in production environment. So I would like to purchase more AP 9120AXI-S. But I already read this information 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9120axi-access-point/218081-c9105-c9120-c9130-access-points-manufact.html

So as my understanding. If hardware VID of AP9120AXI-S is higher than 6, I must upgrade OS of WLC 9800 ? Thank for all your explaination. 

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, upgrade to 17.3.6 or 17.9.4.  I strongly recommend upgrading to 17.9.X.  

Have a look at "Hitless Upgrade" (Administration > Software Management and it is under Hitless Software Upgrade (N + 1 Upgrade).  

When this feature is enabled: 

1. The Active controller will instruct the APs with ZERO clients to move to the Secondary controller.
  2. Secondary controller, through Mobility Group, will tell the Active controllers the APs that have joined the Secondary Controllers. 
  3. Active controller will start moving clients to the Secondary controller until all APs are moved to the Secondary controller. 
  4. Active controller reboots to new version. 
  5. Secondary controller moves APs with ZERO clients to the Active controller. 
  6. Secondary controller moves clients to Active controller until all APs are moved to Active controller. 
  7. Secondary controller reboots to new firmware 

If the controllers are in a Mobility Group, try the automated "Hitless Upgrade". 

IMPORTANT

The most important part of this feature is adequate WiFi coverage and not one in a "shoe-string" deployment.  If the hospital does not have redundant AP deployment (minimum 2 per area), there will be outages.  

Here are the steps: 

1. Upgrade the secondary controller first to the target firmware using the normal method.  I am going to presume the secondary controller have ZERO APs in them.  
  2. After the secondary controller has successfully upgraded, on the Primary Controller, go to Administration > Software Management.  
  3. Under Hitless Software Upgrade (N + 1 Upgrade), tick Enable Hitless Upgrade.
  4. Pick a factor of 5%, 15% or 25%. 
  5. Enable Client Steering.  
  6. Hit Save Configuration & Activate.  

Hello Leo, 

Reseller told me different story. He always confirms hardware revision is not important. He said that try to downgrade OS of AP to lower version than WLC 9800, and AP will join to WLC even hardware revison higher than 6. 

Look at the back of the AP.  There is a sticker with the Serial Number and MAC address.  The same sticker also have the Date of Manufacture.  

What does the Date of Manufacture say?  Was the AP manufactured after September 2022?

Dear Leo, 

We are at the presale phase, that means I do not have exactly manufactured date of AP. I raised this concern to Reseller. But maybe they do not aware about this problem. 

@dlhai1986 wrote:
He said that try to downgrade OS of AP to lower version than WLC 9800, and AP will join to WLC even hardware revison higher than 6

Wat da fuq is the reseller smoking?

LeoLaohoo_0-1697097815227.gif