Views
Helpful
Replies

DevNet Associate Fundamentals Course

Justin Reeve
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is anyone else taking the on-line DevNet Associate Fundamentals course. I expected some training videos but it just seems to be a whole lot of reading and some labs which isn't the best way for me to learn personally. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts....

8 Replies 8

ehinkle27
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, I just purchased today and was wondering something along the same lines and most of the content appears to be available free on devnet so why did i buy this course? Not to mention they do not make it easy to find the page to access the training once you sign up.

Don't get me wrong, there is some good content and I am enjoying the labs but some video training content would make a nice break from the monotony of reading pages and pages of information. Part of me thinks I should have gone with CBT Nuggets .....   

I've had to go back through my browser history and bookmark the site so that I can easily navigate to it otherwise it takes me a while to find!

Good luck with your studies.

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

There are no videos apart from a 2min intro video at the start of each module.

I really enjoyed the course and strongly recommend to folks interest in devnet certs. And it gives up 48 credits towards your next re-cert. 

I really liked the editor, shell, and instructions all opened in a browser window.

software development is a dry topic .. for me anyway .. and there is a lot of reading involved with all the methodologies and frameworks. 

I agree the ability to bookmark would be super helpful.

ps - not a cisco employee :) .. and I passed the devnet associate exam last week.

edit:

although video courses are good .. they restrict your learning to the pace of the video. With text, you can finish at your pace. 

I was able to complete the course in 5 days only because a have some coding knowledge. BTW its total on 60 hours for the course.

Wow 5 days, that's impressive fair play to you. Don't get me wrong, there's some really good content and I am enjoying the course it's just nice to have some videos to brake things up a bit as there's a lot of information to digest. I must admit the labs are a highlight and something to look forward to at the end of each section. 

I'm not asking for any hints ref the exam but do you think that the course is enough to pass the exam or would you encourage further reading ? 

Hi 

How you noticed incorrect explanation in NAT section .. if you are paying the same attention to all the topics ... the course is enough to pass. 

I would strongly recommend to practice all the labs multiple times and manually typing the syntax instead of using the paste widget. 

Although all the topics are equally important .. pay attention to how APIs work. Syntax and Python libraries are available to use for API authentication and API calls. As a network engineer, I would say the exam is probably a little easier for someone from a software background. You can see that from the exam blueprint. Only 15% Network Fundamentals .. 85% on software related stuff.

I only completed the course in 5 days coz I wanted to try for devnet 500 badge :)

Kudos for getting your Devnet 500 badge !

I am coming at it from a networking background so I'll pay particular attention to the software/API sections and have a run through the labs a second and maybe a third time :-)

Thanks for all your advice.

Hi @Justin Reeve,

If you would like to consolidate the knowledge on programmabiliy, and also gain more details then the one exemplified in DevNet Associate Fundamental course, i would suggest to go through the learning labs from devnet: https://developer.cisco.com/learning/tracks (like Introduction to DevNet or Network Programmability for Network Engineers), and at least the introduction from major tracks (NXOS, WEBEX, ACI etc). You can do that in parallel with the DevNet Fundamental course.. Btw, you have sandboxes where you can practice so that is good. If you have real devices in a lab or something similar, that's even better. 

print("Have fun!")

Just started the course myself. Good to know about the learning labs from Devnet.

I am pleased that the majority of the labs seem to be run in a VM.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold" Dr Who
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: