cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

An issue in retrieving data from Cisco Prime instances via API (getting error 503).

mchavesr
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It is my understanding that the issue is that the CU surpases the ".maxResults" of 1000. Based on my research, exceeding this threshold will impact production by creating timeouts. Is that right?

In addition, to override this limit, we need to edit the limit in the file "nbi.properties". Is this file present in every version of Prime? I check in Prime 3.9 at our Lab but it does not have the file "nbi.properties".
[root@pi-37-pro-01 ~]# cd /opt/CSCOlumos/conf/
[root@pi-37-pro-01 conf]# cat nbi.properties
cat: nbi.properties: No such file or directory
Only these files are in this Prime.
nbi_notifications.properties
nbi_notifications_required.txt

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Spencer Zier
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
When you send a request for more than 1000 records you'll receive an immediate 503 response (unless the server is incredibly busy or there's a network issue, it shouldn't timeout).
This limit is configurable, as you already know. However, increasing the limit will cause increased memory usage and DB activity; it may cause Prime Infrastructure to crash in some cases (generally because free memory is exhausted). So do be careful.
Yes, if you haven't changed any of the API limits the file will not exist, but you have the right location (/opt/CSCOlumos/conf). Simply create the file with the desired limit overrides and restart PI. Alternatively, since Prime Infrastructure 3.4 you can use the PUT op/rateService/rateLimits API resource to immediately change rate limiter configuration without requiring a PI restart: https://developer.cisco.com/site/prime-infrastructure/documents/api-reference/rest-api-v3-8/v4/op/rateService/rateLimits-PUT@_docs/

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Spencer Zier
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
When you send a request for more than 1000 records you'll receive an immediate 503 response (unless the server is incredibly busy or there's a network issue, it shouldn't timeout).
This limit is configurable, as you already know. However, increasing the limit will cause increased memory usage and DB activity; it may cause Prime Infrastructure to crash in some cases (generally because free memory is exhausted). So do be careful.
Yes, if you haven't changed any of the API limits the file will not exist, but you have the right location (/opt/CSCOlumos/conf). Simply create the file with the desired limit overrides and restart PI. Alternatively, since Prime Infrastructure 3.4 you can use the PUT op/rateService/rateLimits API resource to immediately change rate limiter configuration without requiring a PI restart: https://developer.cisco.com/site/prime-infrastructure/documents/api-reference/rest-api-v3-8/v4/op/rateService/rateLimits-PUT@_docs/

I will inform the CU about the risks before making any changes. Thank you.