Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
joelwking
Level 4
Level 4

At World Wide Technology we are working with APIC-EM and recently a conversation with a customer identified a potential use case. This customer is tasked with taking over network operations for a network described as a 'spaghetti' mess of cables. They were particularly interested  in automation tools and I described some of the Python modules I've written to use Ansible for automation of the Cisco ACI controller, APIC.

A point I made to this customer, however, is you can't automate what you don't understand.

To that end, we have APIC-EM installed in our Advanced Technology Center (ATC) and this customer requirement would be an good exercise in demonstrating how to use APIC-EM as the 'single source of truth' of the network inventory. APIC-EM incorporates a network discovery function with the results available via the northbound REST-API.  Ansible requires an inventory file of devices as a target of the playbook. By writing an Ansible module which queries the northbound REST API of the APIC-EM controller, we are able to provide a list of discovered devices to subsequent steps of the Ansible playbook.

This integration is shown in the diagram below. Ansible runs on a virtual machine, either with the command line interface or with the Ansible Tower GUI calling the playbook.  The APIC-EM virtual machine has been configured for device discovery. The management IP addresses of the discovered devices are provided to the Ansible playbook as a list of gathered facts about the network.

apic-em_ansible.png

For more details on the code to implement the integration of Ansible and Cisco APIC-EM, see the GitHub repository and visit World Wide Technology on the web at wwt.com.

1 Comment
amwhaley
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

great post!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: