Replies

Funday Friday: World Backup Day

Alexander Stevenson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Back it up!

Backup your files!

AlexStevenson_1-1680272143174.jpeg

Every year on the 31st of March we celebrate World Backup Day to remind ourselves to make multiple copies our digital treasures.

The company Maxtor, which specialized in hard drives, initiated this annual celebration, which began as World Backup Month, before evolving to World Backup Day.

#WorldBackupDay

AlexStevenson_0-1680272034185.jpeg

Imagine having to backup this hard drive!!

Do you have any horror stories or successes regarding backing up your files? Personally, I recommend everyone to at least backup their browser bookmarks.

5 Replies 5

agentle
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Oh my gosh, I need to do this. It's a good reminder!

When are we going to have "Docker pruning day?" I need to do that too.  

@agentle, we need someone like you to champion the Docker Pruning Day cause! 

Sean Dahlberg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't have any good work-related ones, but I do have some personal ones... that I'll share another time, hehe.

While I’ve known about this holiday for years, I was not familiar with its origins until recently. So I figured I would back up this knowledge (see what I did there?) by sharing it.

It was originally launched in 2005 by Maxtor, a hard drive manufacturer that would later be acquired by Seagate Technologies. The difference is, it was introduced to be “World Backup Month.” It wasn’t until 2011 when some redditors got together and created World Backup Day. While important to developers, it was originally developed as a “reminder to save all your cherished pictures, videos, and other important data to somewhere secure.” Soon after, the event had an official website, social media accounts, and an official date, March 31, to remind people to back up or risk losing data and becoming an April Fool.

Granted, as a technology professional, you probably don’t need a holiday to remind you to back up. You’re probably doing this constantly. But, the holiday is a great friendly reminder! And a good excuse to post a backup-related meme.

13ea76a8-e839-4dc8-9021-e097bcc320a3-business-cat-meme-generator-we-didn-t-have-a-system-backup-you-gotta-be-kitten-me-7e09b9.jpg

Thanks for the deep insight @Sean Dahlberg and the meme is hilarious!