Views
Helpful
Replies

VIRL Licensing issue on Devnet Sandbox

BenjoGreeno
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

I've looked on this site for answers, however the issue looks to be connectivity to the license server by the looks of things. The error:

Failed to check licensing status: Cisco contact was not established. This may be temporary. Please make sure the VIRL server is connected to the Internet and capable of reaching the configured Cisco master. Also make sure that the minion key provided to you matches your minion ID and domain, and rem

- There are no running simulations when I navigate to the Overview section on the UWM portal

- In the Site Config section, I've tried resetting the keys and ID, but this makes no difference.

Any help would be ace.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
9 Replies 9

BenjoGreeno
Level 1
Level 1
Update.

I'm still sufferring from the same issue, however I've managed to make the rest of the "current status" screen look a lot more healthy by logging in as UWMmanager, resetting all the configurable elements in the settings area, which re-installs everything by the looks of it. I'm still getting the "salt status check" issue, which is preventing me from doing anything.

Hello

I am having the exact issue and it's still not sorted out. Which Sandbox did you try it on?

Edit: I forgot to say Hi! Also the hostname according to devnet of the box I'm on is VIRL Server_edb1c977

I may well be completely wrong, but I'm guessing that there is some kind of license call back that isn't possible as it's done over the internet, which is now being blocked by the host as per this statement:

"Updates to Sandbox Reservation Internet Access Policy

Due to changes in our networking policies, we are updating the internet access policy within our sandbox reservation instances.
Hosts will no longer have internet access outbound.
This should not affect the overall functionality or access to the resources within the sandbox instances, connecting via VPN."
This probably only checks every few days, so hasn't come up since the change took place. Again, this is a guess, but I can't build any simulation and so far I've done the following:

- Reset all settings via UWM login to recommended

- reset Salt configuration

- upgraded the system (one element still marked as amber despite trying twice).

- cancelled reservation and booked a new one.

All of the above haven't helped, so I think you and I are both stuck until someone with more access and/or skills to pay the bills chimes in.

Cheers,

Our VIRL host has difficulty in connecting VIRL License server. The issue is not attributed to the "Sandbox Reservation Internet Access Policy" changing recently.

We are working with VIRL team for a solution.

Ah, swing and a miss from me then. Thanks for the update, I'll keep an eye
on this for updates.

Cheers,

Ben

Hi Team,
I am having an issue today from the UWM - Multi-IOS Cisco Test Network – VIRL server: 39bded08

Failed to check licensing status: Cisco contact was not established. This may be temporary. Please make sure the VIRL server is connected to the Internet and capable of reaching the configured Cisco master. Also make sure that the minion key provided to you matches your minion ID and domain, and remains valid. Current status is: Last successful license renewal was more than 7 days ago. Last license renewal final result was (2019-09-30 14:01:39): Salt caller setup failed unexpectedly; likely misconfigured.
Thanks,
Jason

@ zowu wrote:

Our VIRL host has difficulty in connecting VIRL License server. The issue is not attributed to the "Sandbox Reservation Internet Access Policy" changing recently.

We are working with VIRL team for a solution.

Hello!

I won't suppose there's any update on this? I cancelled my rental and have optimistically booked in for another session this coming weekend. I just want to know whether I'm being hopefuly, or I need to begin looking at something else. So any news, even if it's a "this will be broken for ages" would totally help me out.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Hi Ben,

The issue was resolved in Oct. 1. And we've updated it in thread https://community.cisco.com/t5/devnet-sandbox/virl-licensing-problem-on-devnet-sandbox/m-p/3932621

Ah that's ace, thanks for the response and apologies for nagging - I only receive email updates on this thread so assumed the issue was still on-going and had no way to test myself.

Thanks again!

Ben