Respostas

The first ip in an ipv6 network

luisfeliperm
Level 1
Level 1

In a scenario where the network is 2001:db8::/64

Gateway IP: 2001:db8::1/64
Hosta A: 2001:db8::2/64

If host A pings network IP 2001:db8::0 will the Gateway respond?

I mean, if there is any ping on the network for the first ip which would be ::0000/64, will the router on that network respond? My question arose because I saw some quotes that when you do a ping to the network ip, the router responds to announce that it is the network router.

1 Soluções Aceita

Soluções aceites

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @luisfeliperm,

In IPv6, the network address (::/64 in you example) is typically not assigned to any specific device, including the router. Therefore, if a host (in this case, Host A with IP 2001:db8::2/64) pings the network address 2001:db8::/64, it is unlikely that the router will respond to such a ping.

Routers typically do not respond to pings directed at network addresses because network addresses are not meant to be assigned to individual devices. Instead, they are used for routing and subnet identification purposes.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Ver solução na publicação original

2 RESPOSTAS 2

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @luisfeliperm,

In IPv6, the network address (::/64 in you example) is typically not assigned to any specific device, including the router. Therefore, if a host (in this case, Host A with IP 2001:db8::2/64) pings the network address 2001:db8::/64, it is unlikely that the router will respond to such a ping.

Routers typically do not respond to pings directed at network addresses because network addresses are not meant to be assigned to individual devices. Instead, they are used for routing and subnet identification purposes.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not that i believe that works  - I  have not seen any time before  that works -  (Only 0 responds lf the subnet mask is different  and 0 is configured on the Router) 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help