Visites
Compliment
Réponses

CCNA and then? CyberOps? CCNP?

LetMePass
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello Cisco Community,

I've been thinking about the next step in my IT career. I really enjoyed studying for the CCNA, and now? I was able to fill in the few remaining holes, but I'd like to go further.

I have a preference in cyber security, however there are few SOC positions available in the Czech Republic, and most require extensive experience. 

Some people online recommend CCNP over other certificates.

What are you thoughts on that?

Best Regards,

Chris

5 RÉPONSES 5

@LetMePass congratulations on your certification. this is very wide question and depends on your skill set. since you have done routing and switching, you can decide to study cyber ops or CCNP enterprise or CCNP cyber ops. all depends on your desire. try to follow your passion and the area you are happy with.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Congratulations on the CCNA! That is no small thing.

If security is what interests you, absolutely pursue that. I agree that a CCNP R/S is highly marketable, it is also a good foundation on how more complex networks work which is not a bad thing to know in security. Yes, experience is needed in these jobs. Certifications can help you get your foot in the door, though.

Cisco offers a CCNP Security which is another avenue. You could also choose to pursue the CompTIA Security+ and then perhaps a CISSP.

Another suggestion would be to get a job at a company that specializes in security, but get the job as an entry-level networking person and work to get promoted within.

Good luck on your journey!

Maren

LetMePass
Spotlight
Spotlight

My sincere apologies for the slow reply. Thank you both!

@Kasun Bandara 
@Maren Mahoney 

As BLF said:

Routing and switching is the foundation, as such, climbing the ladder up to CCNP R&S level will give you a good base.

From there, I would go for CCNP Security.

Remember that a good network security engineer must have solid networking skills.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/s/question/0D53i00000KsuNeCAJ/ccnp-security-or-ccnp-routing-and-switching

I also agree with Matt Watkins money will be in the security area. Nonetheless, let's make the networking foundations stronger for now.

Better to go for the easiest and safest way with ENCOR/ENARSI then to take things further. 

@Maren Mahoney 

According to what I've read, CISSP is more tied to the consultant job, whereas CASP+ more technical. Could be my next step after CCNP Enterprise (ENARSI)

Now just some personal thoughts about the others CCNP Enterprise.

Regarding the other CCNPs, first and foremost:

ENSLD - Designing Cisco Enterprise Networks

ENWLSD - Designing Cisco Enterprise Wireless Networks

ENWLSI - Implementing Cisco Enterprise Wireless Networks

Honestly, which firm would delegate the duty of designing and deploying a network to a young engineer? None.

As for...

ENSDWI - Implementing Cisco SD-WAN Solutions

ENAUTO - Automating Cisco Enterprise Solutions

I'm not familiar enough with those two to make a definitive statement.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The most important thing is get a job (related to the field of study) first.  

Aside from experience, "make your name" and push your reputation across the industry.  

The IT industry in Europe is huge.  You may, eventually, have CCNP in Security or CyberOps but if nobody has ever heard of your name the CCNP means little.  

Get a job in relation to the CCNA you've achieved.  Start there.  Do the hard work.  Make a name for yourself.  

@Leo Laohoo 

I would like to, but it appears impossible to get hired in the Czech Republic without practical experience and with only CCNA and extensive help desk experience.

So what else to do?