Compliment
Réponses

Vpn token

Lauriewen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can you help me?

I am a beginner and I don't understand the concept of tokens at all.

When I'm at home and I want to connect to the company's network with Cisco any connect vpn

It is said that there is a double authentication :

- one with the active directory

-one with the token :To get the token, I have to scan a QR code on Pointsharp with my phone

The token IS a qr code?

I dont really understand, thanks 

Could you please explain me the notion of token and the steps to connect to the vpn?

Thanks

5 RÉPONSES 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to contact the network administrator about what kind of 2 facto authentication company using, and how to set up using your mobile devices for the second part of the authentication.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

This is what he told me:
When I connect to the vpn from my home, an authentication request is sent to the Pointsharp server.
The Pointsharp server validates the access by connecting to the active directory and sends me a token.
It is with this token that I will access the company's resources

Important: I have to scan the QR code on the pointsharp website to import the token on my phone

I still don't understand the notion of token, it's not clear. Could you explain me step by step?

I still don't understand the notion of token, it's not clear. 

Token / OTP - one time password, when you use 2 facto authentication

below example document help you understand better.

https://www.techtarget.com/searchsecurity/definition/security-token

Could you explain me step by step?

Your admin already explained in detail, what more steps are you looking for here, how do these work?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

NetworkDave
Spotlight
Spotlight

@Lauriewen,

Think of a "Token" as a very long code with many different characters (Letters/Numbers/Symbols); Similar to a "password" or "pin code" (though much longer and more complex). A "Token", just like a "password" or "pin code", is used for authentication.

Since this code ("Token") would be hard for a person to remember and use, it is being sent in the form of a "QR Code". A "QR Code" can contain lots of different information (similar to a "UPC symbol" on products you buy); In this case it has the "Token" information. So yes, The "QR Code you receive is your "Token".

Typical "double authentication" [Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)] is used to access Email, Accounts, etc. Commonly the first authentication is a "user name" and "password". The second authentication is usually a short code sent via text to your phone. When accessing your company's network, the code ("Token") is received via Pointsharp. Your phone is used to read and/or send the "QR Code" ("Token").

In regards to connecting to your company's network via a VPN, procedures can vary (dependent on the policies, administrator, etc.). If you provide the instructions (minus sensitive data) that you were given, The Community can better assist you.

HTH

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember to mark helpful posts and mark the correct answer as a solution; It helps other users with similar questions.

Hello,f I understand correctly. When I scan the QR code for the first time, I get the token on my phone.

Then when I connect to vpn on my Pointsharp, I should click on "confirm on Pointsharp" it means that the token will be sent to Pointsharp ???

Why don't need to scan the QR code for future connections and just confirm the vpn connection on my phone?

Could you give me an example with the code that we receive by SMS when we make an online purchase?

Thank you very much