cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AMP for endpoints for Windows 2008 server (not R2)

zheka_pefti
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

I wonder if someone can give me an advice on how I can deploy AMP for endpoints onto Windows 2008 server which is an older edition (not R2). According to the official Cisco statement it is still supported and I need an earlier version 5.x.x or lower.

https://docs.amp.cisco.com/en/A4E/AMP%20for%20Endpoints%20Deployment%20Strategy.pdf

The attempt to download the connector ver 6.0.9 onto the said server ends up with an error that this OS is not supported.

What am I missing ?

4 Replies 4

Bob Hemenway
Level 1
Level 1

I think Cisco needs to update their OS requirements.  Their thinking is that since Microsoft doesn't support Server 2008 any longer neither should they.

But I do have experience using AMP on Server 2008 and you don't want to bother with it; upgrade that server to at least 2008 R2.  I found that Server 2008 uses SMB v2.0 by default and AMP4E has trouble with "Opportunistic Locking" on MS Word documents.  To avoid this problem you either have to force your 2008 server to use SMB v1.0 or upgrade to Server 2008 R2 to get SMB v2.1 which fixes this problem.

Thank you, Bob.

This does sound like a good advice and I'm fully aware of 2008 being EoL. This is all about pre-sales and evaluation of the product. I want it running in the environment with two Windows 2008 server that still do a decent job and will be upgraded end of this year. So, if we manage to show its value including their older servers than the chance is that they will go for it for production use.

Any ideas how to install the older/earlier version of connector to the server ?

Hello zheka_pefti

Which is the connector version that you are referring here ?

The method for installation of connectors are same like any other version. You have to refer the release notes for any particular instruction based on the version that you are referring here.

Regards

Jetsy 

I created a policy with the connector version to 5.x.x for Windows Server 2008 Standard