Views
Helpful
Replies

Compilation with Visual C++ link.exe fails with error TRK0002

sriediger
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Cisco team,

I'm a software developer, I have installed Cisco Secure Endpoint 8.2.1.21650 and Secure Client 5.0.00837.

When I compile a Visual Studio solution which contains about 80 C++ projects. The compilation and linking fails with the errors like

TRK0002 Failed to execute command "...CL.exe" The process cannot access the file '...<tempfile>.rsp' because it is being used by another process.

TRK0002 Failed to execute command "...Link.exe" /ERRORREPORT:PROMPT <tempfile>.rsp". The operation completed successfully

Observations:

• The errors are clearly related to Cisco Secure Endpoint. They do not occur with other Virus Scanner (Microsoft Defender, Eset NOD32).
  • The errors did not occur with Version Cisco AMP 7.3.x
  • Doing a file exclusion of the temp directory, rsp files and the source code location does not prevent the error.
  • The error would not appear if I add a option <TrackFileAccess>false</TrackFileAccess> to all projects, but that is no acceptable solution, because changes in code are no longer detected.

Only for clarification. Cisco Secure Endpoint does not detect an issue, it only prevents Visual Studio from doing its work.

What I haven't done so far is doing Process Exclusion of Cl.exe and Link.exe because they are changing with every update of Visual Studio and are located in different paths. 

How can I specify an Process exclusion of all programs C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022?

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best Regards,

Stefan

3 Replies 3

UMontero
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Maybe the following doc will be helpful:

Configure and Identify Secure Endpoint Exclusions - Cisco

If this doesn't work, I would suggest opening a case with TAC for further investigation.

Hi,

thank you for pointing to the documentation. After some tests we now have a working solution.

We use the following Process exclusions (File Scan)

• CLSID_PROGRAM_FILES\Microsoft Visual Studio\*\cl.exe 
  • CLSID_PROGRAM_FILES\Microsoft Visual Studio\*\link.exe

And the following File exclusion

• CLSID_LOCAL_APPDATA\temp\*\*.rsp

sriediger_1-1704729839410.png

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Stefan

Hello,

Two additional process exclusions are also required.

• CSLID_PROGRAM_FILESX86\Windows Kits\*\rc.exe
  • CSLID_PROGRAM_FILESX86\Windows Kits\*\midl.exe

With this exclusions all C++ Visual Studio solutions seemed to compile and link without TRK0002 error.

Thanks again.

best regards,

Stefan